Memorial Weekend dive report - Northern Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roughwaterjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Memorial Weekend – Northern Channel Islands
Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel Islands

Dive sites:
Santa Cruz Island – Yellow banks, Marmetta, Valley Anchorage & Willows Anchorage
Santa Rosa Island – Pinnacles, Johnson’s lee
San Miguel Island – Little Wyckoff, Wyckoff Ledge, Crook Point & Active Point

Water temperature ranged from a low of 48 degrees up to 59 degrees.
Visibility was all over the board, from 20’ at Santa Cruz and part of Santa Rosa, to an average of 40’ at Santa Rosa and some spots on San Miguel. Little Wyckhoff at San Miguel offered 60’+ at times.
Surface weather was generally sunny and nice, but several spots got very windy and blown-out in the afternoon, forcing us to move to other sites.

Photos from the trip:

Gallery 1 http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=5609
Gallery 2 http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=5610
Gallery 3 http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=5611
Gallery 4 http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=5612
Gallery 5 http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=5613
Gallery 6 http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=5614

Information on the Northern Channel Islands:
http://www.channel.islands.national-park.com/info.htm

The Report:

We started arriving in Santa Barbara about 8:00PM Friday night, to board the Truth from Truth Aquatics for a 3-day trip to the Northern Channel Islands. Most of us carpooled up, but some took the train up from San Diego. We boarded the boat and settled in, stowing our gear and heading to our bunks for our planned 3:00AM departure.

I woke to the sound of engines rumbling to life and crew walking around on the deck. I was in a bottom bunk, the first one on the port side bow, so I was ready for a wild ride to the islands. I wasn’t disappointed. We started out fine, but as we hit open water, the swells increased dramatically, causing the bow, with me firmly wedged against the hull, to slam against the waves. Several times I pondered my possible admission to NASA’s space program, as I hung suspended 6” above my bunk, before doing a face plant against the mattress pad moments later, leaving a crime scene body impression, several inches into the pad. This hover, body slam, hover continued for an unknown amount of time before either I fell asleep as the swells diminished, or I was knocked unconscious, I don’t remember which.

Saturday morning dawned bright and sunny at Santa Cruz Island, the smell of coffee, frying bacon and sizzling pancakes wafting their way below deck. After breakfast, we started our dive adventure off at Yellow Banks. We dropped down to a sandy bottom with kelp stretching up to blot out the sun as it formed green carpets on the surface above. Heading west, we found a rocky reef, with small caverns, valleys and overhangs. We saw Sheephead, Garibaldi, Perch, Lobster and a wide variety of Rockfish. Nudibranchs were plentiful and diverse. Starfish in a blaze of colors and huge Purple Sea Urchins dotted the sea floor and surrounding rocks. Warty Sea Cucumbers, Sweet Potatoes and California Sea Cucumbers lounged in the sunlight. We dove several locations along Santa Cruz, before we pulled up stakes and pointed ourselves towards a likely anchorage for the evening.

We pulled in close to the rocks, dropping a stern and bowline to keep us in one spot, then waited for sundown for our first night dive. Visibility was fair, but life was abundant. With black skies filled with stars burning their way through the darkness, kelp mats lying out across the oceans surface in all directions and the island close behind us, it was truly a magical evening. I assure you, the alcoholic beverages consumed post dive in no way colored our view of this amazing evening. With the crew catering to our every whim, fabulous meals throughout the day, and a gently rocking bunk to return to, we named this day a success and placing our weary heads on our pillows, we dreamed of the dives to come.

In the morning, after another overwhelming breakfast, we headed of to Santa Rosa Island and the Pinnacles. Topping out about 60 fsw, the Pinnacles benefit from deep, cold, nutrient rich currents that flow all around them. The water was a murky green down to the top of the pinnacles, but below 75 fsw, clarity improved as the temperature plummeted. There was a steady current running around this site, so prudence dictated a close quarters inspection of the rocks and crevices, as any distance from the pinnacle brought a disconcerting tug towards deeper water and the world beyond. Needless to say, we stayed close as we explored.

San Miguel is an Island that does not often allow visitors, due to rough conditions, high winds, strong swells and an uncertain welcome below the surface. All the planets were aligned this weekend though, as we were able to visit her two days in a row. Our first stop was Wyckhoff Ledge, probably ‘the’ site of the entire weekend. Fabulous visibility, absolutely gorgeous rock and reef structure and enough life to fill, well….. and ocean. The surge was very strong though, as with every Ying there’s a Yang. We were never, at any point in our dive, able to stay in one spot. You were either swimming towards, or swimming past a beautiful site. You were never ‘at’ a site, as the surge was a harsh mistress, allowing us a glimpse of wonder, but never time to ponder. The swells picked up considerably while we were below. We surfaced to find ourselves surrounded by thick mats of kelp, 3’-4’ swells and the boat a fearful distance away. Dropping back down, we fought the surge and worked our way in and around the kelp stalks, before finally, thankfully, surfacing at the stern of the Truth. The wind was blowing so hard; the kelp leaves on the surface were flapping in the wind, like fish floundering on the surface.

We were going to overnight on the lee of San Miguel, but as the swells picked up and conditions worsened, San Miguel lost any lee side it might have had. We turned around and headed back to Santa Rosa, where we found calm conditions and safe harbor at Johnson’s’ Lee. We dropped bow and stern anchors and waited for sunset as a prelude to another night dive. Giant striding of the starboard side, we slipped between the kelp and headed below. Basically every Rockfish that calls California home was out and strutting it’s stuff this evening. We saw more Octopus, tons of Nudibranchs, crabs of all sizes and enough Starfish to fill the night skies. Visibility was good and life was in abundance. A nice post dive hot shower, a great dinner, a few more alcoholic type beverages, and our bunks were calling our names.

Waking to another gorgeous day and a breakfast to cause Richard Simmons to break into a sweat, we pulled up anchor and headed back to San Miguel. It was a bit choppy when we arrived, but the longer we stayed, the better it became. The wind died down, the sun came out, and the swells reduced themselves to gently rolling reminders of the power the sea had in store, but at least for now, refused to unleash. The water was ‘cold’ but life in all its glory was in abundance. Giant Lingcod, more Rockfish, beautiful Anemones and Sponges, enough Nudibranchs to fill 10 dive logs, and a multitude of cold water loving fish and sea creatures that overwhelmed every photographer on board. San Miguel, when you can reach her, is truly a diver’s paradise.

As the afternoon approached, we pulled up stakes and headed back to the coast. The return trip was surprisingly mild, compared to the outbound journey. We saw seals checking us out as they played in the current, Spinner Dolphins playing in our wake and a Humpback Whale casually breaching off our bow. With bright blue skies above and fond memories firmly entrenched within, it was a great end to an absolutely amazing weekend.

John A.

It sounds like you had a great time! Also, those pictures were great. Could you tell us what camera you used

Hi Diverdann

I used an inexpensive, no focus, no adjustment, point & shoot Sealife Reefmaster, with an external strobe.

John

Arnaud:
Great report! Thanks for sharing.

Excellent report. I especially liked the part about the ride out there:) Had some friends that were on the Truth with you. I myself was on the Horizon diving at Catalina & San Clemente. We had an equally rough ride out there but the weather was perfect the whole trip. Anchored at Catalina the first night and when we were done diving the Captain called for the water taxi for those wanting to go ashore. After everybody got back we headed for San Clemente (while we slept) and stayed the next two nights. Average water temp was 64 degrees. I just love diving in the Channel Islands:))

divenut2001:
I just love diving in the Channel Islands:))

This was my first time on the islands, and I loved them. So much so, I'm taking a two day on the Ocean Odyssey to San Clemente on the 26th/27th of this month. :dazzler1: I've only been to Catalina twice. Both times for Chamber Day, doing two dives from the boat each time. I've never been to Avalon or really even set foot on the island, but I would like to.

John-Boy

krowsea:
This was my first time on the islands, and I loved them. So much so, I'm taking a two day on the Ocean Odyssey to San Clemente on the 26th/27th of this month. :dazzler1: I've only been to Catalina twice. Both times for Chamber Day, doing two dives from the boat each time. I've never been to Avalon or really even set foot on the island, but I would like to.

John-Boy

Never been on the Ocean Odyssey even though it's owned by the same people that own the Horizon. You will have an excellent time at San Clemente. It's referred to as America's Galapagos. Keep an eye out for Bat Rays and Giant BlackSea Bass:))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom