Do you Dive with a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. Nice to have for surface swims. Nice to have for when you are floating on the surface waiting for the boat. I did one dive without it to see if there was much difference. It is a bit less clumsy to dive without it, but I do like it.

Mark

Nope, I hate it dangling off my mask. I believe they are valuable, I just hate wearing it. I've just seen a snorkel that fold up into this little blue disk thingy (best explanation I can offer :) ) and tucks nicely into your bcd. Now if I could just get over the steep $40 price attached to it.

I usually don't dive w/ a snorkel. I find it annoying when diving, especially through kelp. I used one this weekend when I dove shaw's cove, and thats just because you need one in Laguna.

No.

Long surface swims off the beach are the norm (malaga, deadman's, etc.). For my legs, most comfortable is on my back. If I need to see conditions, reg in mouth on stomach for a short period.

If waiting on the surface, if it is so bad I need to breathe something other than ambient air I use back gas with a demand valve reg, sucking air through a thin tube with dead space when you want air never made much sense to me.

Sea lions are known to covet snorkels (and the masks to which they are attached)

Entanglement issues in kelp

Entanglement issues in donating long primary hose to OOA diver.

Chris

I use my snorkle. It's nice not to suck in the scum you can encounter on top of the water. With much swell action it's definitly helpful. I'm so used to it I have never been entangled in kelp (only fins).

My preference!

Sean

SoCalAJ:
Do you dive with a snorkel or not,,, just curious and why.....

I stopped last year, after using it for 14 years.... it kept snagging on my BC inflator hose and causing a lot of drag when in current. When the time comes to swim on the surface, I do it on my back, much easier and confortable.

I don't use it during my dive-- I want it out of my face!!! I do keep it folded in a pocket-- just in case needed in emergency---

I do use a snorkel and I hate it!

I don't like it getting caught in kelp or in other equipment...however, I do wear one because when I decided to not wear one, I got caught in a current and had to swim a long distance back to the beach at night. Wasn't fun on my back.

If there are foldup snorkels, I do reccomend that. I don't have one but I may be looking into them soon.

Kirstin

Back
Top Bottom