Shark Attack at Aquarium of the Pacific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This just makes me so sick.

the link is the same as the text below.
http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21474~2522300,00.html

Vandals torture and kill Aquarium shark

Ray also dead, 2nd shark expected to die from overnight attack.

By Tracy Manzer
Staff writer

LONG BEACH — One shark and one ray were discovered dead at the Aquarium of the Pacific early Monday, and a second shark was barely alive following a case of brutal animal cruelty.
Staff members arrived early Monday before the Aquarium opened its doors and were having their usual walk through the plant when several people made the gruesome discovery at Shark Lagoon, said Perry Hampton, director of animal husbandry. A nurse shark, named Michelle, and a bamboo shark and cow-nosed ray — a relative of the sting ray — were dragged from their touch tanks and tortured, then left for dead by unknown vandals.

A $2,500 reward is being offered for information that can lead to the arrest and conviction of the person, or people, responsible for the animals' deaths. News of the killings shocked visitors. Staff members many of whom have developed close bonds with the animals were horrified, Hampton said.

"We were all very sickened by what happened to these animals," said Aquarium spokeswoman Cecil Fisher.

The crime occurred sometime between the point when the Aquarium closed Sunday at 6 p.m. and opened Monday at 9 a.m. The bamboo shark, which measured about 18 inches, was found barely alive and is not expected to survive. The nurse shark, which was about 3-feet long, and the ray, which was slightly larger than a laptop computer, were already dead when they were discovered outside their tank.

Shark Lagoon and its inhabitants of touchable critters is a serene environment and the most popular exhibit at the Aquarium, Fisher said.

The sharks and rays some with slick skin and others rough to the touch swim all day among the fluttering fingers of children and adults. Designed to educate people about the true nature of sharks, the exhibit demonstrates that the majority of the feared fish are absolutely no threat to humans.

Unfortunately, humans can sometimes be a threat to the sharks.

"It's really horrible, when you think about the point of the touch pools," said Sandy Collins, a regular visitor to the Aquarium who brought her 3-year-old daughter for lunch and a day of learning.

"It shows you how they're not a real threat to you and me; too bad there isn't something that can protect them from us."

Michelle was one of the first animals in the exhibit when it was introduced in 2002, which is why the staff named her.

"She has been with us since Shark Lagoon opened, millions of people touched her," Fisher said.

Nurse sharks, like the rays and the bamboo sharks, zebra sharks and epaulette sharks that live in the touch tanks, are bottom feeders who prefer crabs and snails to fish, or people's fingers.

Michelle was about 5 or 6 years old, Hampton estimated. She could have lived to be 30 or 40 years old, and would have reached about 9 feet.

The bamboo shark is full grown, as was the ray, Hampton said.

The touch pools are one area of the Aquarium that is outside, although they are protected by high walls and fences. Hampton said he was told not to discuss the building's security system. Pending the outcome of the investigation, the Aquarium may consider making changes to the area, Fisher added.

Detectives in the Long Beach Police Department Burglary Detail are investigating the violent crime, and offered no possible motive Monday.

"I guess a senseless act of cruelty would be the best way to describe it," Hampton said. "One of the things that make it especially horrible is that these animals never expected to be harmed by people."

Anyone with information is urged to call the Long Beach Police Department's Burglary Detail at (562) 570-7351.

Hope they catch these freaks and use them on the next feeding session.

agreed..that is seriously sick..

I do wish that what Shaka said was possible. Hopefully they can make a public example of these sick, waste of oxygen beings when they catch them and inflict the same harm unto them.

sharkdiver00:
I do wish that what Shaka said was possible. Hopefully they can make a public example of these sick, waste of oxygen beigs when they catch them and inflict the same harm unto them.

And the parents of these little darlings.....OH s**t I'd better get of my soap box and shut up before I have a heart attack

:crying:

Just when I think some humans cannot possibly get any more stupid than they already are....

What's the state penalty for something like this? Community service?

ScubaTexan:
:crying:

Just when I think some humans cannot possibly get any more stupid than they already are....

Never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity......

Nothing a few volunteers with 12 gauge shotguns could have prevented ... back home in Texas we just shoot'em.
Cheap chum, fast food for the big ones.
sharkdiver00:
I do wish that what Shaka said was possible. Hopefully they can make a public example of these sick, waste of oxygen beigs when they catch them and inflict the same harm unto them.
Yeah right, in this sissy a$$ state? If they actually catch 'em, and they don't plead out on littering the sidewalk, the 10 week trial a year and a half later will show they were stung by a wasp as kids which will be all the excuse they need to be found not guilty.

My suggestion: Turn the tables, throw 'em in the big tank a couple of hours after missed feeding time. Charge admission and broadcast Pay-Per-View. Use proceeds to buy shotguns. :D

This is one of those things that makes me so angry! I'm not someone that would be labeled an "animal activist" either.

The point of the display was to help people overcome their irrational fear of something they don't understand. I believe that this lesson can extend into other areas of life as well.

I believe that this type of criminal behavior is what eventually leads to equally heinous crimes against people down the road.

As usual, if they are caught, some group will probably make plenty of noise about protecting the rights of these prisoners or trying to tell us that it's somehow not their fault. I'm not for the mistreatment of prisoners, but I do think that the public's attitude toward crime needs to get tougher.

I'd better stop right there before this turns into a political tirade about the current state of the legal system in the US.

I hope they catch them and make some kind of example of them. But that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom