Catalina island...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkerr

Reaction score
Just got back from a weekend trip to Catalina where a friend was getting married. For those of you who might be unfamiliar, it is a 1 hour boat ride, and a world away from Long Beach. I did not think we would have time to dive, so unfortunately my wife and I did not bring our gear. Stepping off the ferry and looking in the water and seing the Garibaldi convinced us to make the time.
We rented everything and went out with Luv Dive and had an awsome time. First time in a kelp bed (been dreaming of that since seing the 3-D movie "Into the Deep" at the N.E. Aquarium), and floating on my back looking up as the sunrays filter down through the kelp was beautiful and inspiring. Saw tons of life, including black sea bass! Seeing one of those monsters is just sooo cool!
This was my wife and my first time in the water since the end of last year and it was an awsome way to get wet again. Can't wait to get back there again and spend some more time. Tons to do on the island topside as well as underwater.

It's one of my favorite places, too. Glad to hear that you got to see a giant black sea bass - they are amazing! The Scuba Luv people are nice.

I'm interested in diving there in a few months but I'm worried about water temp. I'm not necessary a WWW (warm water whimp), I just lack the different wetsuits for cold cold water. Might have to rent one.

Hi Amadeus,
You can rent a suit and hood there for about $15-20. Bring your own gloves and boots or you can rent those also for cheap money. What ever you do, dont let the price of renting exposure suits stop you from diving there. I dive in Mass most often and we have slightly colder water, but no where near the vis or life you find there.

Triton,
I hope you get to finally make it there soon. Deffinately worth the trip!

Dkeer..

I love Catalinia a lot! I agree with you, plenty to see, and well worth the trip.

There are plenty of boats that leave the mainland for the day that go there.. I've been on two: Pacific Star and Island Time.

Island Time is a much smaller boat, gets you to the island in just about an hour, two dives, then your back by noon. Great crew, and food + air are included.

Pacific Star is out of Redondo Beach and just as good, just all day, and much bigger boat.

I have yet to see a Black Sea Bass! Although, I've seen plenty of other wild life.

The water isn't too bad.. your basic 7mm will keep you plenty comfortable. and if the sun is out, you'll warm up during your SI rather quickly... Not to mention get a great tan! ;-)

Have any of you dove Anna Cappa or other Channel Islands in S. California!? Excellent and easy diving for someone just wantinga relaxing day?

Paul

We are tentatively scheduled for a Catalina live aboard near the end of July. We are thinking 7 mil suits. Is that right? :confused:

Amadeus,

I'm going out there this weekend. I spoke with someone who just got back and they said that the surface water temp. was running around 60F. Not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom