• Manifolded doubles

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • single main cylinder with pony bottle

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Single main cylinder with stage bottle

Votes: 18 23.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawally

Reaction score
This is the first post that i have made to this forum so bare with me. Every safe solo diver knows the need for a totally redundant gas source. For the most part this can either be accomplished in one of two ways either with a pony bottle or a stage/sling bottle. For those who are new to the forum or for those who do not know the difference between the two I will explain furthur. A pony bottle is a small bottle usually 30cuft or less and is usually mounted using straps or clips or some other method to the main cylinder (the one that contains the back gas). A stage bottle is completely seperate from the main cylinder and is attached via bolt snaps to the shoulder D-Ring and the Waist D-Ring.

I would like to know what you use and why.

I myself use a set of manifolded doubles and use a stage bottle for longer/deeper dives.

I dive doubles most of the time. If I happen to do a single tank solo, I'll take along a pony. A stage bottle seems like overkill to me unless I'm doing a deco dive.

I use iso/manifolded doubles on about half my dives, with a single 120 with an H-valve for the others. I use stage bottles if I'm making a deep dives with deco stops. I can't see spending the money for a pony and extra reg. I think of it as a crutch for poor gear maintenance/dive planning. It's easier to pay attention to my spg than to haul around a tank I would hope to never need.

The difference between pony bottles and stage bottles is really one of size. If you want a completely independent air source (not a bad impulse in certain situations) may as well take one that can actually get you out of trouble.

When I'm going deep and cold I take a 40 cuft side mounted stage bottle. With a 40 I'm comfortable knowing that I can get myself out of trouble, ascend, and get a proper deco in.

The only time I've ever had to use the stage bottle, using a 13 cuft pony would've forced me to skip a borderline safety/deco stop.

JB

RockPile:
The difference between pony bottles and stage bottles is really one of size. If you want a completely independent air source (not a bad impulse in certain situations) may as well take one that can actually get you out of trouble.

The difference between a pony and stage bottle is in their usage. A stage bottle is breathed during the dive with your backgas (or a portion thereof) left in reserve. It is used to extend bottom time and provides no inherent gas redundancy.

A pony bottle is used for emergency deployment only. It is a redundant gas supply that is not touched unless there is a problem.

ok so maybe my terminology was a bit off. The concept that i am trying to express here is the difference between having your redundant gas supply mounted in a bracket onto your main cylinder or set up like a stage/deco bottle and clipped to a shoulder and waist d-ring. I know a stage bottle is used to extend bottom time and essentially does not provide redundancy..i was mostly using it as a mode of comparison

Soggy:
The difference between a pony and stage bottle is in their usage. A stage bottle is breathed during the dive with your backgas (or a portion thereof) left in reserve. It is used to extend bottom time and provides no inherent gas redundancy.

A pony bottle is used for emergency deployment only. It is a redundant gas supply that is not touched unless there is a problem.

If, and only if, you use the stage bottle for extending bottom time it offers no redundancy. That's your choice. Not a mandatory or "correct" configuration (nor is mine for that matter).

Per the configuration I described above, a large gas reserve is, by definition, redundant.

JB

"H" valve.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom