Baby doubles (steel, ~ 55 cf)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

two.crows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Double 7 Liter setups (that would be ~ 2 x 55 cf) seem popular enough as shore dive setup in Europe - but apparently impossible to get in North America. These are 5.5" dia tanks, rated to ~ 3,000 psi (220 bar) and doubled with a short isolator manifold (example attached).

They are compact, they are not much more heavy overall than a single Al (because steel allows you to drop some lead), they give you a bit more gas, and you get full redundancy. However, they are not certified for DOT/TC but only to Euro noms :depressed:.

Looking to get such a setup, I first considered PST 65s, but they are standard thickness (7.25") and only about 17" long, thus would probably be impossible to trim well. OMS LP-45s seem more reasonable lengthwise, they are thin (5.5" / 23"), but they are LPs and 45 cf is a bit on the small side for the trouble. HP cylinders would be attractive. But I can't find such cylinders with a DOT/TC cert. On top of that, I can't even find 5.5" bands on the market :shakehead:.

Does anyone here have experience with putting together a baby doubles setup that would be filled in North America? Sources?

Thanks!
2.c

Attachments

• Polaris_Doppel7er.gif
    Polaris_Doppel7er.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 122
A solo friend and I were just discussing this very subject the other day and the best we could come up with was twin 40 stage bottles so I have no answers But I'm tagging along to hear more :)

can't you guys get faber cylinders in USA?
faber do a LP 7 litre cylinder and a HP (300bar) 7 litre cylinder... dive rite do bands and short manifold.
Divetub on this board dives a set of twin 300bar 7's maybe he'll chime in.
I would like a set myself

A solo friend and I were just discussing this very subject the other day and the best we could come up with was twin 40 stage bottles so I have no answers But I'm tagging along to hear more :)

What is the dive your wanting to do? A single with a
stage maybe can handle it? Otherwise, go full
doubles,,,
Kal

What is the dive your wanting to do? A single with a
stage maybe can handle it? Otherwise, go full
doubles,,,
Kal

Shore, kayak - no boat. Want to cut down on weight. Baby doubles preferred to stage: more compact, easier to carry on back, same valve configuration as full doubles. I'd consider a small stage as a secondary option.

These are 40cft. I love using these tanks for shallow dives, but then I have to get both of them fillled after every dive so I use a hp80 most of the time. I have three hp80s and get them filled for free at my LDS, the 40s I have to take them to my local firedept to get free fills and don't want to bother them to much.

tom14.jpg
tom12.jpg

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/221077-my-new-doubles.html Have a look at my baby doubles. Lots of fun for mid range NDL dives, and I like having redundant regs when I'm diving in very cold water in case of a free flow. I used standard width manifold incase I decide to break these down I can use the manifold on bigger tanks, and I bought the bands from Victor (detroit mudpuppy) here on the board.

Jim

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/221077-my-new-doubles.html Have a look at my baby doubles. Lots of fun for mid range NDL dives, and I like having redundant regs when I'm diving in very cold water in case of a free flow. I used standard width manifold incase I decide to break these down I can use the manifold on bigger tanks, and I bought the bands from Victor (detroit mudpuppy) here on the board.

Jim

Thanks Jimmer, I forgot about that thread.

Back
Top Bottom