Solo Diving in the ocean in your own boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a Solo Diver - do you dive alone on your boat or bring a warm body to sit in your boat?

Assuming you are an experienced boater - what would you do - Sometimes, Never or Always dive alone on your boat?

I am curious - thanks.

Never in the ocean. Perhaps in a small lake.

I would only do it in a location where it would not endanger my safety if the boat was gone, stolen, sunk, caught fire, was run over by another boat, drifted off in a current or storm.

Agree with a previous post. Never in the ocean. Maybe in a small lake.

As a Solo Diver - do you dive alone on your boat or bring a warm body to sit in your boat?

Assuming you are an experienced boater - what would you do - Sometimes, Never or Always dive alone on your boat?

I am curious - thanks.
As posted in the other Solo Diver Poll thread:

LEGACY OF THE DEEP / Kawika Chetron lived for his time spent at sea, and his time there spawned a treasure of ocean images - SFGate

Lesson learned: If you're gonna dive off-shore solo especially off your own dive skiff, at the very least leave an itinerary/dive plan with a friend/relative/neighbor; have a full-size redundant gas source (Backmount or Sidemount Doubles); two EMT cutting shears easily reachable -one in pocket and one in a holster mounted on a waistbelt/weightbelt or BCD; and by all means carry & mount on your BCD a mandatory Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) in a Dive Canister.​

Have done it and will in the future, but am extremely cautious re currents and plan for the boat not to be there i.e. have a plan B if the boat is not there for some reason.

Around here (PNW) really no different than shore diving. Not too many places to dive wthout shore close by so if the boat is gone the shore is still there. It may be uninhabited but it is dry land so survival is not an issue.

Anchors pull loose. I know of folks who did it, had a very unpleasant adventure they survived, and do not do it anymore. It is a big ocean and off NC the currents are heading for Europe.

Not that I would, but I know a few who do. They keep their dives simple, shallow, and close to their mooring line.

I recommend carrying a Nautilus Lifeline just in case. The day you start thinking it can't happen to me, it will.

Back
Top Bottom