Time to open the Solo Forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Recent threads in the Basic Forum has me thinking that it might be time to open the Solo Forum up to "read only" like the DIR Forum.

You have entered the DIR forum.

This forum is intended for members of the DIR group. All users can read, but only members of the DIR group can post to topics in this forum! But don't worry, if you are not member of this group and are interested in joining you can do so in just a few clicks. To get started head over to your Group Preferences and select the DIR group. Remember... This group is for DIR and for the DIR curious who are encouraged to join and post. The forum has a zero trolling policy, so please take arguments over DIR to the technical diving forum.

Just the mention of the Solo diving doesn't seem to solicit all the drama that it did just a few years ago and there is a lot of good information here. Any thoughts?

I forget, is this forum hidden from normal view? I thought it was read-only-before-join like the above reference.

If so, it might bring a little more traffic in here and start some more conversations.

Last edited:
This is what a non-member of the Solo Forum sees at the top of the Forum:

Greetings Hawkwood,

You have entered the Solo Divers forum.

This forum is intended for members of the Solo Divers group and only members can post to topics in this forum! But don’t worry, if you are a member of this group or interested in joining you can do so in just a few clicks. To get started head over to your
Group Preferences and select the Solo Divers group. Enter a few sentences explaining why you would like to join this group (or who you are if you’re already a member). A group leader will review your request and grant you access to the forum.

Presumably this indicates that a non-member of the Solo Forum can look, but not post.

Note that I am not a member, but by virtue of being a Moderator I have the capability of posting. Hence me still seeing the message.

Last edited:
It has been quiet in here lately....

I've noticed the same. Quiet in the forum but posts in Basic. I remember just a year or so ago a thread on solo diving in Basic would often be reported and moved. Seems this is no longer the case. May well be time to open the Solo forum.

Looks like the contagion has spread :D

General ScubaBoard members who are logged in to ScubaBoard can read the Solo Divers forum. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)

If so, what you are suggesting is opening the Solo Divers forum so non-members can read it (as they can DIR). I don’t see that as a big deal either way, and suspect the answer might lie in whether we want search engines to see the Solo Diver subject matter.

Just logged off Scubaboard and tried to access this forum. All I got was this messages and some ads:

You have entered the Solo Divers forum.

This forum is intended for members of the Solo Divers group and only members can post to topics in this forum! But don't worry, if you are a member of this group or interested in joining you can do so in just a few clicks. To get started head over to your Group Preferences and select the Solo Divers group. Enter a few sentences explaining why you would like to join this group (or who you are if you're already a member). A group leader will review your request and grant you access to the forum.

I have posted links to pages on this Forum and several people said they couldn't see it/denied access.

Just logged off Scubaboard and tried to access this forum. All I got was this messages and some ads:

I have posted links to pages on this Forum and several people said they couldn’t see it/denied access.

Interesting. I see your point.

Someone should change the "description" of the Forum then. To me it implies that only Forum Members can post, not that only Forum Members can see it.

... If so, what you are suggesting is opening the Solo Divers forum so non-members can read it (as they can DIR)...

Exactly, yes.

... I don't see that as a big deal either way, and suspect the answer might lie in whether we want search engines to see the Solo Diver subject matter.

I'm pretty sure that anyone can find posts in the Cave Forum, which has a lot more risk than Solo. I don't recall anyone in this currently "private" forum being irresponsible about making the need for experience and preparation being critical so I think being able to find well-reasoned and cautioned information like this would be useful to the diving community.

My impression has been that the member requirement was to minimize the kind of histrionics this subject generated in other forums in the past, which blocked reasoned discussions. There isn't that much written here that you can't find in the Basic and Advanced forums now.

Last edited:
Thought the idea of solo was just that, if they are interested in solo they can join as I did, if not do not start meaningless posts just to top post...

Reactions: Ana

Back
Top Bottom