Open the Solo Forum?

Should the Solo Forum be opened to the entire SB community

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are solo divers that think opening the solo forum to all is a good idea for the SB community at large. I'm not big into polls, but I'll take the obvious task.

Solo members please vote and state your reasoning.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2015 at 12:30 PM ----------

Leave it the way it is.

It works. It doesn't lure people into its thinking and it does quite nicely with a self-selected group of divers. Not a lot of yapping even when serious topics are discussed.

Open it up. It's honestly pretty open already; I was able to join the forum before "being qualified" or whatever because I was interested in learning more about solo. Others could do the same thing, but why have the hassle?

Yes, this might let in some anti-solo trolls, but just don't feed the trolls.

Change the format to the same as the DIR forum. Read only unless you join. if you like, make membership require approval or have a heavy hand in moderating inappropriate posts. It seems a little hippocritical to keep the forum "hidden" while insisting solo diving is a legitimate option. IMO it only reinforces the image of "taboo."

We're all (supposedly) adults ... open it up and let the general membership decide what they want to read and participate in. If people misbehave, then deal with their behavior.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can go for both sort of, and fully open. The more people learn about solo diving the more they will understand the risk/benefit profile and might even see why some divers find the practice appropriate. Others might see that it is more than just diving without a buddy.

I thought it was already read only or join, but I joined further back than my memory extends.

I voted for Sort of. I think making people join and read the forum rules before posting would be a good idea. Considering you need no ones special permission to join, it isn't much to ask.

Bob

Read only and join to post.

People have the right to read and consider. If they want to join and have a civilized debate, this is healthy for everyone.

However, it will take wise monitoring because people around here have a habit of kicking people out of forums just because they do not agree with him/her. :)

I think we need to put ourselves in other diver's fins. There is a lot of great information here that causes a lot of self-examination, even if they never solo. The whole point of the board is to learn and share experience. However, I think it serves everyone's best interests if the hate-solo trolls are minimized with the least amount of distraction.

Read only unless you join, like the DIR forum.

I had thought that solo was becoming a normalized topic until a recent thread "solo, what do you think about it?" appeared recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom