Question on Closeup Lens use with Nex 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guamrider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've always used a macro lens with other housings, but currently there's none avail for the Nex 5. My question is does the 18-55mm lens need to be fully extended (55mm) for use with a close up lens that attaches to it?

I'm assuming it does but am concerned about room in the Nauticam port.

I've always used a macro lens with other housings, but currently there's none avail for the Nex 5. My question is does the 18-55mm lens need to be fully extended (55mm) for use with a close up lens that attaches to it?

I'm assuming it does but am concerned about room in the Nauticam port.

No you don't have to be fully extended to 55mm to use the close up lens. A lot of my shots from lembeh were taken with the close up lens attached with a wider focal length. If you do go too wide however you will get vignetting.

The below photo was taken at 43mm with an inon UCL-165.

black-saddle-toby by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

Thanks..great info. Did you put the lens directly on the front of the 18-55 or on the front of the housing using the Nauticam adpater?

It is a wet lens, so you use the adapter. The main advantage is you can remove the lens if needed while underwater, the disadvantage is you do loose some power of the close up lens. It can also be a pain to be constantly adding and removing the lens while underwater. I notice with the subsee close up lens they have a flip adapter which makes that less painful.

Thanks again, I think I'm going to try mounting a +5 on the lens inside the housing to try it out.

You can also use the Sony 30 mm macro lens with the adapter to get autofocus. I have done some pics with the 18-55 and a Canon 500 diopter on the front and a Subsee +10 which is almost getting there.
Waiting anxiously for a real Sony/Sigma macro lens for this beast.
Bill

Looks like a macro lens should be released soon.]

Yeah, I've been following this. I am wishfully thinking someone is going to make a macro lens in the 60-70mm range with emount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom