Sony RX100+aquapazza+InonUWL-100 28M67 +dome unit vignetting ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plotek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All

On my previous camera I had inon WAL lens so when I was looking for new camera, I was interested to use that one without vignetting.
When I took first pictures with SonyRX100 I was really happy, I saw only in one corner (upper left) little bit of black shadow ... but I did not take a look on the RAW files, because I had old version of IPhoto and this one dosen't support ARW files. When I installed software to edit RAW files then I saw strong vignetting on the images and then I discovered how the function lens correction is working and how it can change the image.
So what is the truth? What is the real shortest focal length of the Sony RX-100?
Where is the problem:
- housing can not handle with this lens?
- is the focal length is wider than 28mm but then by the software cropped and expanded to reduce vignetting?
- how it works on another housing?

I will be appreciate for any explanations and help, because now I am little bit confused :(

Image jpg
jpg_sonyRX1001.jp.jpg

Image RAW
raw_sonyRX1001.jpg

Last edited:
There are two reasons:
1. JPEG images are always cropped around 10% you can see that looking at some details in the picture
2. The rx100 has an incredible iq and by eliminating barrel distortion pushes the vignette out of the frame

There are two reasons:
1. JPEG images are always cropped around 10% you can see that looking at some details in the picture
2. The rx100 has an incredible iq and by eliminating barrel distortion pushes the vignette out of the frame

1. This is acceptable, but in my previous camera jpg was not cropped
2. Can You explain this little bit more?

Regards
Tomasz

1. Depends on the camera usually around 5% crop is normal
2. As you straighten the picture the black bars I away. If you use Lightroom or Photoshop look for remove barrel distortion and try it

Sorry to resurrect this old post but I am now looking exactly at this lens.

As far as I know there are no lenses that do no present any form of vignette in RAW with the RX100 other than maybe the Fix UWL28M52 but I really doubt it

I think that these leneses were designed for much smaller CCD, so Sony is rather unique with 1".
I asked Acquapazza why the Inon lens give such vignette ... the answer was, not possible, we do not see any vignetting. Then we exchange our ARW files. The difference was in the lens correction. In my images I can switch off this function, on their images it was not possible to switch off lens correction.

That's correct all those lenses have been designed with the canon s90/95 as test camera that has a much smaller sensor and smaller opening on the lens

---------- Post added January 28th, 2014 at 01:33 PM ----------

I just checked the Inon website and this is what it says for the Canon S95

(*5) View of angle and vignetting may vary depending on combined housing model,even with same camera.
(*6) Vignetting information is based on when not using "image stabilizer function".
(*7) Slightly vignetting on corners at wide end. Slightly zoom to telephoto side or crop the image.

I have also checked the S95 and yes the lens is smaller but it sits further away form the port compared to the RX100
I also looked at your aquapazza housing it looks like there is a ring on the M67 thread so maybe with another housing it will not vignette?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom