Sony RX 100 - Macro experience in Lembeh with UCL 165 M67 x2 and Inon Z240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started using manual focus, a great function! I wish I knew how to use it long ago. Super useful in shooting hairy shrimp, vague and bizarre critters!

Really nice images!

Hi HPP, Great photos, thanks for the link.
I just got my Sony RX100 camera and am now shopping for all the other expensive components. I'll likely go with the Nauticam housing and the Sealife Dragon strobe.
Your pictures are amazing and proof that what I have been reading about the RX100 not producing great macro shots is not true!
As for the macro lens you used, did you use a super macro or just the Inon UCL 165?
Do you use a wide angle wet lens by any chance and if so which one?
thanks for any advice you can send my way,
cheers,
LuvDivin

Your pictures are amazing and proof that what I have been reading about the RX100 not producing great macro shots is not true!

The rx100 does produce excellent shots the issue is a large capture area and the fact you need to shoot in manual focus or assisted manual to have best results
The suggested lenses for this camera are produced by inon
UWLH-100 with dome for wide and for macro UCL165 either in twin combination or you can try the newer UCL100
I prefer the LD bayonet mount as lens changes are frequent with this camera
I posted some tests on my blog on all those lenses and the related magnification
Strobe wise get twin inon Z240 or a sea and sea YS-D1 if you can afford it as other strobes will be too weak for the smaller aperture this camera requires at wide end

No the decision on the number of strobes depends of the type of shots you take
Macro -> 1 strobe is sufficient
Wide -> with this camera you want two strobes really

For what concerns strobe choice both strobes are similar in terms of output at the same angle
The z240 has more features and controls and will work better with an electrical sync chord or with the internal flash dialled down as it has an onboard light meter so can do ttl by itself
With the sea and sea you only have ttl and manual modes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom