RX100 vs. RX100 ii for UW photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

Could someone tell me the advantages of the RX100 ii over the RX100 for UW photography?

Thanks,

Joss

The key improvements (for underwater use) of the RX100 II versus the original are:

1. Increased sharpenss at corners at wider apertures
2. Hot shoe to trigger an external flash without having to wait for the internal strobe to recycle
3. Better performance at higher ISO

In US the mark II is only $100 more expensive and is definitely worth buying, in Europe the price gap is much bigger and justified only if you shoot video

For a full read have a look at my blog as Sciopio suggested

Thank you. I think the price difference here is more $150, but your point is well taken. Your blog is a great resource, I'm going to spend more time on it.

I do not understand this:

2. Hot shoe to trigger an external flash without having to wait for the internal strobe to recycle

If you connect with the fibre optic the rx100 doesn't operate in slave mode but only in ttl
When you shoot at wide angle the Internal flash fires a full dump and it takes around 7 second to be able to shoot again
With electrical connection the internal flash doesn't fire so it takes 2 seconds to fire again a shot

You're saying that the housings for the mark ii have an electrical connection to the camera? I had assumed that wasn't the case, since they are not TTL. (I'm new to this. :D )

If you connect with the fibre optic the rx100 doesn't operate in slave mode but only in ttl
When you shoot at wide angle the Internal flash fires a full dump and it takes around 7 second to be able to shoot again. (...)

I'm in the process of reading the user's manual and I notice that the camera has a flash exposure compensation function. You can decrease the flash power by 2 stops. Have you tried that? That might help with the problem you describe.

I'm in the process of reading the user's manual and I notice that the camera has a flash exposure compensation function. You can decrease the flash power by 2 stops. Have you tried that? That might help with the problem you describe.

If you operate the strobe in TTL that will result in underexposure
If you use the strobe on manual instead you will need to decide how to expose the picture on the strobe itself
For inon strobes that have a light meter incorporated this is a way forward for sea and sea for example you will only be able to shoot manual

Back
Top Bottom