Sony RX100ii + Nauticam + arms + strobes - what Stix floats do I need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Someone here might have a similar set-up. My rig is coming together and consists of:

- rx100ii in Nauticam housing
- 2 x (5" + 8" Ultralight arms)
- 2 x Z-240 strobes
- Nauticam Flexitray + right handle
- Inon UWL H100 LD with dome

I'm wondering what I need in terms of Stix floats?

Thanks,

JD

Inon is very precise on buoyancy and so is ulcs. You can probably use that as starting point before you out the how rig in the bathtub and weight it accurately with a luggage scale. At that point you will figure out what you need. Your arms can take up to 6 floats and you will definitely need 4 jumbo anyway. I would get those and then go for a second check bearing in mind that you can run out of physical space. I believe even with 6 jumbo your set up is still negative

Do you already have these items? If so, get a luggage scale, and take your rig to a pool or boat ramp. Tie a piece of cave line (#24 or #36, make sure the knots are very secure) to your rig, and the luggage scale. Submerge the rig, and the luggage scale will tell you how negative your camera rig is in the water.

If you don't already have these items, I am suspecting your rig is going to be about -2 lbs in the water. My DSLR is about -4 lbs with a 105mm macro lens.

My calculations indicate you need 8 jumbos to make it near to neutral however you can only put 6 on the arms (I presume you will also have a lens holder on the short segment) and the nauticam tray doesn't take floats. You could put on on the focus light arm if you don't go for ball and clamp. It is a matter or also seeing how you like your rig to be. With 6 floats will probably be one pound negative which is ok

With my ulcs tray less fancy than nauticam I can stick further two floats. Plus you can use locline focus light mount and put another one. Total room 8 jumbo and One large total lift 3.5 lbs

I'm fine if it's a little negatively buoyant. I'll start with the 6 Stix, and we'll see. Thank you all for your help!

(I got a good deal on a used Nauticam tray. I would have gone for the ulcs one otherwise.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom