RX100 mk2 lens options with flip diopter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norinori

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning to get an Rx100 mk2 with the Nauticam housing and am trying to decide on what lenses to get.

I've read enough threads to convince me that I need a quick release mounting and not deal with screwing in the M67 threads underwater.

So I decided on the Inon UWL-H100 28LD and the Nauticam 67mm to Inon LD Mount Adaptor, but for the macro, I'd still like have the flexibility to use a flip diopter.

Could I combine the Bluewater +7 Macro Lens with a the i-Das 67mm flip adapter and screw that into the Inon M67-LD Mount Converter ? This way I could switch between macro and regular easily, and only when I need WA I could remove the i-Das Adapter and diopter lens as a whole and stick it on a caddy.

I know the i-Das flip adapter already has a gap of 1cm between the lens and the housing, would this make the gap even bigger and cause vignetting ?

First I would recommend you buy a fix adapter instead of nauticam. Ask Kevin at reef to give you one of those he still has in stock. This adapter is better than the nauticam. I have covered the subject on my blog and you can see why.
Having a flip diopter on an LD-M67 adapter has no benefits as the adapter will vignette and anyway you have to lock and unlock into the LD bayonet so you are better off getting a native LD lens and stack other on top.
My lens recommendation a that if you want a quick release you embrace the inon system in full and get the UCL-165LD plus the UCL-165M67 as a set to stack. There is some fringing that goes away in post. Alternatively you can get the UCL100 in the LD version but this is not so versatile as your focus distance is 10cm and that sometimes is too close

Last edited:
With the rx100 no lens will vignette as long as you don't have the dome. Once you put the dome both adapters will have a tiny bit of vignette but the fix will have less so I recommend it

Last edited:
I'm going back on what I said now and now i am undecided on whether I want to use AD lenses instead.

Interceptor, I saw on another thread you were offering adapters that allowed you to use the UFL165AD and UCL165AD with the RX100 ? -- Do you still offer this ?

How would you say this compares vs using the LD mounted lenses ?

I'm concerned about how heavy and big the
Inon UWL-H100 28LD lens (plus dome) vs how light and small the UFL165AD (and the extra cost for the LD with dome)

I still have the spacer rings however it has become increasingly difficult to find the FIX M67-ADF Pro adapter to modify
Yes the UFL165AD is much lighter however it does vignette to 35mm and it is a small lens that is prone to flare.
The UWL-H100 28LD or even the UWL-100 28AD with dome are heavy but are internally coated with antireflectant so they do not flare
If you manage to find a FIX M67-ADF PRO I am happy to provide the mod kit.
A lens that does pretty well though it has an M67 thread is the FIX (IDAS) UWL-04. The screwing of the lens is painful but the cost is $450 which is acceptable I guess

First I would recommend you buy a fix adapter instead of nauticam. Ask Kevin at reef to give you one of those he still has in stock. This adapter is better than the nauticam. I have covered the subject on my blog and you can see why.
Having a flip diopter on an LD-M67 adapter has no benefits as the adapter will vignette and anyway you have to lock and unlock into the LD bayonet so you are better off getting a native LD lens and stack other on top.
My lens recommendation a that if you want a quick release you embrace the inon system in full and get the UCL-165LD plus the UCL-165M67 as a set to stack. There is some fringing that goes away in post. Alternatively you can get the UCL100 in the LD version but this is not so versatile as your focus distance is 10cm and that sometimes is too close

About the UCL100, you mention here that it is "not so versatile as your focus distance is 10cm." But on one of your blog posts, you mention "UCL100 instead is quite flexible and has a huge swing of working distances for a given focal length...". So, I'm bit confused, I'm more concerned with video and I recall you mention somewhere that the UCL100 is recommended for video.

Anyways, I had decided to go ahead with the below items until I saw this post.

INON UWL-H100 28LD
(Inon UWL-H100 28LD Wide Angle Conversion Lens [ino.456212143610] - $493.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros)

INON UCL-100 LD
(Inon UCL-100LD Close Up Lens +10 Diopter [ino.456212143709] - $349.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros)

Both are native INON LD lenses and so I guess they should work OK with the "Nauticam 67mm to LD Adaptor"? (Nauticam 67mm to Inon LD Mount Adaptor [nau.38012] - $160.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros). The problem you mention with "Nauticam's 67mm to LD Adapter"... does that also apply to Sony RX100ii, or just the LX7?

I'm upgrading from a simple gopro setup so all this can be a bit overwhelming. Is this a viable setup to cover Wide and Macro shooting options (I'll save macro lens stacking and dome units for my next upgrade phase). Your clarification and advice would be most sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

I am not sure which post you refer to. The UCL100 achieves real macro with the RX100 however the working distance is a bit too close for most situation. It is a great lens but would not get it on its own. My first close up lens investment for the RX100 would be a +6 diopter like the Inon UCL165

What would your second one be interceptor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

For stills another UCL165 for video the UCL100. This of course depends on what and how you shoot. Generally the RX100 has got very little depth of field so using a +10 lens or two +6 stacked is pretty hard. Starting with a +6 is not too hard to handle hence my recommendation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom