Sony DSC-RX1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So RecSea have a housing out for this camera now. I wonder given the limitations of the 35mm prime lens whether anyone has actually taken this one underwater yet?

As the camera does not have a zoom you are limited to wide angle (probably the lens front is so big so you need an Inon lens UWL-H100 or UWL-H100 + dome) and then with the flat port you have 43mm equivalent good for fish portraits
You need a +10 diopter to work at 10cm to capture something like 6cm wide which is not even macro

I bet nobody has bought this camera thinking of underwater use and recsea sales of this model will be close to 0

wow that housing is really expensive. I think I'll get RX100 III for underwater. lol

I am purchasing a Sony RX1R for travel use and would perhaps be interested in buying the RecSea housing, the underwater usability of this camera seems very limited though.
Whilst it does have a fixed focal length lens, it has an optical zoom (4x, 6.1x. & 9.1x) which could open up more possibilities. What type of photography would be possible with this setup? I also own a Nikon D800 & D7000, but would prefer to use the RX1R as it is considerably smaller, which i prefer as i am still a beginner diver.

---------- Post added October 29th, 2014 at 09:56 AM ----------

Is there something i'm missing here? The Sony RX-100 has a 28-100mm lens. The lower end of this lens at 28mm is actually equivalent to 35mm as far as the field of view goes (due to the crop factor of the sensor). The Sony RX1R's 35mm lens is on a full format sensor, so doesn't have a crop factor. The field of view should be the same or similar if i am not mistaken? Pls correct if my am wrong in this respect.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom