Manual Focus Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all RX100 users. I was practicing on land with my RX100 and have been attempting to use the manual focus. It seems you can't use manual focus and be able to adjust the aperture, its either one or the other. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Claudia

push the down button on the control wheel to set aperture.

I generally use the front control ring only for manual focus and I find the rear wheel much faster for aperture and shutter speed. the front control ring only has 1 function at a time. so if youre using it for manual focus thats it. if not then it defaults to aperture. this makes things difficult if your underwater case cant control the rear wheel.

Right, got it with ease now. I've been shooting in autofocus too long methinks...

Got my new strobe, tray/clamps, and fibre cable today. I'm just pleased with myself that I got all the right bits - going to fire it up shortly. Only thing left is a water proof box for all the little spares, allen keys, o rings, etc.

Any suggestions? Nothing fancy.

Claudia

Plastic shoe boxes from ikea

The comment about aperture is that auto or manual focus the sequence is always
1. Set shutter speed
2. Set aperture
3. Set ISO
4. Focus
5. Shoot

You can swap 1 and 2 if you like and even 3 and 4 though it makes no sense
This is because aperture influences focus through hyperfocal distances so something that was not in focus before may be now and viceversa affecting the intended outcome of the picture. Even worst is of course to change the focal lenght after focussing

Not to mention the fact that this seems to be intended to be used under water and both you and your subject is not unlikely to have moved in the time between you focusing, changing the aperture and getting the shot (if in that order)...

Sorry, the question wasn't meant to read "how can I adjust the aperture after I focus" but more that the ring can be used for only one function at a time. Once I figured out how to do both aperture and shutter speed from the wheel, no probs.

I find the rx100 a bit strange at times because I'm used to a traditional DSLR menu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom