nex 7 housing or RX 100 II or III ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used the S95 in my patima housing and now would like to upgrade to a more advanced camera. i already own the nex 7 (without housing), so do you think i'd buy a housing for the nex 7 or the sony RX 100 II or III would be as good ? I am interested to go for nauticam.
Btw, which one is best for UW photography between the nex 7 and RX 100 II or III ?
I read that the RX - 100 iii was a disapointment compare to the RX - 100 ii question of settings, has anyone been able to confirm that for UW photo ?

Thanks for the help !

The canon S95 is a fairly versatile camera when coupled with the correct wet lenses.
The NEX7 is an interchangeable lens camera and therefore warrants a completely different experience. If you are happy to have one lens for the dive then this seems the most natural evolution.
The RX100 is a compact like the S95 I have recently posted two galleries with the S95 and RX100 so you can have an idea of what delta there is.
S95 https://www.flickr.com/photos/interceptor121/sets/72157644317011237/
RX100II https://www.flickr.com/photos/interceptor121/sets/72157644719557612/
The image quality of the RX100 is far superior.
Right now the RX100 original version is obsolete when it comes to housing, and if you shoot video I would not recommend it
The RX100 Mark II is the current model and gives you a similar experience to the S95 with superior quality
The new RX100 Mark III has a 24-70mm lens and the same processor of the RX100 with a 1 f/stop improvement in lens brightness this is a good camera for land use but underwater will give you challenges as there won't be a fisheye option compatible with a 24mm lens and with only 70mm zoom macro will be poor. It may be a very good wide-medium video rig but not as versatile as the S95 or the RX100 mark I and II when it comes to photos
The RX100 Mark III is not yet released and housings will be available in late summer if you are in the market for a camera now or have trip schedule you should not wait

I would recommend go straight to NEX 7. I am a RX 100 serious user, also just bought EM1 recently, so I can advise you on both sides.

Thanks very much for your repsonses ! I might then buy the equipment for the RX 100 II and perhaps also for the nex 7. I will then ignore totally the RX - 100 III.
Btw, I really don't see much difference between the pix of the S95 and the RX - 100 II Interceptor 121.

Btw, I really don't see much difference between the pix of the S95 and the RX - 100 II Interceptor 121.

That may have something to do with the fact that Flickr export settings on Lightroom reduce quality
On the screen pictures are displayed as you display shoes them, try to view the full size original image
The RX100 has much higher dynamic range of the S95

agreed with interceptor. RX100 image quality is far superior than S95, in fact is no way close, this is also coming from personal experience, before my S95 got floaded in the Philipines.

wait, r u now talking bout the RX 100 or the RX 100 II when u say it's way better than the S95 ?
Do u think the purchase of the RX 100 II is the best choice compare to the RX 100 or the RX 100 is still best ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go with the NEX7 if you wnt the best shots and can afford it. Along with the ports, etc

Back
Top Bottom