SubSee + 10 or nauticam SMC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which one gives best result with nauticam (or whatever else housing or camera) for sony RX - 100 II and nex 7 ? Any huge difference or both r almost same question of quality ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does best result mean? The only issue you can have with close up lens it's fringing and thus can be almost all corrected in post
Your choice will depend on the subjects you want to shoot their size and the distance they will be happy with

Some people say the SMC has better optics, while others have had better luck with the Subsee +10

I have used the Subsee +10 a lot, and was happy with the results (though on a different camera - Nikon DSLR w/105mm lens)

Thanks for the answers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have little experience with close up lenses you will find the subsee hard to use and the SMC impossible. Besides I have seen shots with the rx100 and I would say the camera doesn't even focus with it

U mean with the SMC ?

I have used both the SMC and the Subsee +10. I found the SMC to be easier to auto focus with than the Subsee. The SMC is slightly stronger than the Subsee. The SMC maintains sharpness throughout the image.

That all said, per Interceptors comment, if you have never used a diopter before jumping to that level of magnification will be frustrating. You should start with something less powerful such as the Subsee +5.

Whilst you can definitely get a lens that will focus with both wet lenses on the NEX you have to be careful with the RX100
So far I have seen decent shots with the subsee but the only SMC shots I have seen taken with the RX100 to me seem blurred with nothing really in focus.
The smallest f/11 aperture of the RX100 is insufficient to have more than 1mm in focus at high magnification that is really hard to work with in water for non static subjects

Good point re: f11. I was was shooting the subsee at f22 and tighter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom