So, RX 100 II or III ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone been testing the newest III underwater for macro and wide angle use, is it worth the purchase or shpuld I still stick to the idea or buying the II instead ? Really scratching my head bout it.
Thanks for the info !

I am also considering to pull the trigger in the mkIII (I do plan to shoot video), but would like to see an annoucement first from Nauticam on a housing.

the camera is really good without doubts, but 24mm isn't good for the existing wideangle wetlens, and 70mm isn't enough for a good magnification with the macro wet lenses..... for underwater photography the mark 2 is better! IMHO.....

One thing I noticed on the specs: While the zoom is shorter (70mm vs. 100mm) the minimum focus at full zoom has gone from 55cm to 30cm giving a focal distance of less than 1' at full zoom, compared to almost 2' on the II. This means the working distance from the port will be less than half with the new camera. I haven't seen a comparison of the fully extended lens length, but if that is shorter as well, it would get the lens closer to the port for WA work.

Wouldn't it also mean macro was easier? I notice this camera has a macro mode as well vs the mark 2.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it also mean macro was easier? I notice this camera has a macro mode as well vs the mark 2.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

The II lists a macro mode as well, but the macro performance was widely criticized. It will be interesting to see the first UW reviews and how macro compares on the III. The electronic viewfinder may or may not be a plus as well.

It would be great if one of the housing vendors (Nauticam, Recsea, Ikelite) would comment on the suitability of this camera for underwater. Especially in combination with external lenses (wide and macro).

I would use it primarely for video with some occasional photography, and I live in Canada with very dark, green, waters. So the extra sensitivity and better sensor of the mkIII would be a huge benefit for me. But I don't want to buy a camara that would limit my possibilities later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom