Sony A7s with 4k recorder housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, you know A7s can NOT record 4K video natively, right? You have to have an external device, take the feed out of HDMI port and record 4K externally. For underwater, I don't know how you will handle that. Maybe GH4 is a better option for 4K recording underwater?

Maybe an Atomos Ninja-2. I'm pretty sure it's not 4K though. Nauticam and Dive & Sea make a housing for it. Backscatter sells them.

They're also releasing the 4K Shogun next month so you might wait and see if someone houses it. Shogun | Atomos

Yes, the A7s must use an external recorder. The Atomos Nija won't do it. The Shogun is a much rumored answer, but it will be a while after it finally comes out for a housing.

Decided to make the switch from my NEX 7 to an a7, but which one. Have a couple trips to Socorro coming up for big beasties. Thinking of the a7s. With its low light performance it should be just the ticket for the Mantas, sharks and hopefully whales. There will be a lot of wide angel opportunities where flash will be of little use. My only worry is losing the high res of the a7r. Any one want to share their thoughts or opinions?

The SHOGUN should be shipping in a couple of months and I will be getting one for my GH4 for the 10bit 4:2:2. But rigging one up in an u/w housing seems like it would be a MAJOR PITA.

The SHOGUN should be shipping in a couple of months and I will be getting one for my GH4 for the 10bit 4:2:2. But rigging one up in an u/w housing seems like it would be a MAJOR PITA.

I'm thinking we Sony mirrorless people will have to wait a bit longer for in camera underwater 4k. But then, we're used to waiting for adequate glass. OTOH, am currently in Bonaire shooting with the new A6000 and Zeiss 50mm macro and loving them. Life is good!

Decided to make the switch from my NEX 7 to an a7, but which one. Have a couple trips to Socorro coming up for big beasties. Thinking of the a7s. With its low light performance it should be just the ticket for the Mantas, sharks and hopefully whales. There will be a lot of wide angel opportunities where flash will be of little use. My only worry is losing the high res of the a7r. Any one want to share their thoughts or opinions?

Personally I think any full-frame camera, or any of the Sony A7 models, will have more than enough low-light capability to photograph animals in Socorro. The trick will be getting close enough to them. You lose any high-res capabilities shooting through lots of water. Flash will be quite useful with Mantas, dolphins and some shark shots FYI.

Hope this helps!

Scott Gietler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom