Nauticam Port for NEX 18-55 lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony A.

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently use a sigma 19 with 4.33" dome port and im very happy with its performance in wide angle photography. I dont do macro and mainly do shipwrecks and largish fish. With the wide angle lens I tend to have to get really close to turtles and sharks to fill the frame so im looking to use a 30mm or higher lens with the 4.33" dome that will work without any diopters. I tried the sigma 30 and it doesnt focus in the port.

So my other option is to use my 18-55 lens and get either the 36121 flat port 72 or the 36137 semi-wide angle port. I like the option of zooming in and my 18-55 lens is an excellent copy so im happy with it. My question is in regards to which of these ports will be better for my needs. I recall the flat port has 25% magnification more geared for macro? If anyone can describe the differences of each port that would be helpful.

I currently use a sigma 19 with 4.33" dome port and im very happy with its performance in wide angle photography. I dont do macro and mainly do shipwrecks and largish fish. With the wide angle lens I tend to have to get really close to turtles and sharks to fill the frame so im looking to use a 30mm or higher lens with the 4.33" dome that will work without any diopters. I tried the sigma 30 and it doesnt focus in the port.

So my other option is to use my 18-55 lens and get either the 36121 flat port 72 or the 36137 semi-wide angle port. I like the option of zooming in and my 18-55 lens is an excellent copy so im happy with it. My question is in regards to which of these ports will be better for my needs. I recall the flat port has 25% magnification more geared for macro? If anyone can describe the differences of each port that would be helpful.

hi Anthony

>> I recall the flat port has 25% magnification more geared for macro?
I think you answered your own question. As you said perfectly, the flat port has 25% more magnification and is more geared toward macro.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Scott Gietler

Thanks Scott. Since I rarely shoot macro, would the 25% magnification help me in regards to getting a close shot of sharks for example without actually being so close to them? For example, say if im shooting at 20mm for wide angle but want the shark to appear but closer.... will the magnification help in that regard by acting more like its at the 25mm? Any issues with sharpness compared to the semi dome port?

Back
Top Bottom