housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocean blue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Sony snappers!

I’m already a Sony user (a really compact one) Sony TX10 with original housing. (no external strobe)

Now I want to upgrade myself a new compact camera(light one) supports raw format and can be used with wet lenses(for macro). My budget for the camera is like $ 600-700.

For few weeks I have been reviewing related posts and RX100 II looks really nice and affordable for me. Any advice for another model within my budget welcome :)

I got confused when I checked the prices of housing cause the difference is huge. Ikelite is $ 475 and Nauticam $ 950. Is it worth to pay double and getting nauticam? What are the adv and disadv of ikelite housing and nauticam? May I use any wet lense with any brand of housing?

Appreciate your comments and advices.

Many thanks.

Ocean - several of our customers have commented that they felt the aluminum RX-100 housings were significantly smaller than the Ikelite housing. This was a big deal for some people. The Ikelite housing is a good value, but if you can afford one of the more expensive RX-100 II housings imho you won't regret it.

Hope that helps!

Scott Gietler

Hi Sony snappers!

I’m already a Sony user (a really compact one) Sony TX10 with original housing. (no external strobe)

Now I want to upgrade myself a new compact camera(light one) supports raw format and can be used with wet lenses(for macro). My budget for the camera is like $ 600-700.

For few weeks I have been reviewing related posts and RX100 II looks really nice and affordable for me. Any advice for another model within my budget welcome :)

I got confused when I checked the prices of housing cause the difference is huge. Ikelite is $ 475 and Nauticam $ 950. Is it worth to pay double and getting nauticam? What are the adv and disadv of ikelite housing and nauticam? May I use any wet lense with any brand of housing?

Appreciate your comments and advices.

Many thanks.

The size and controls are better with the Nauticam and also on the Sea & Sea, which we like quite a bit for cold water divers. They are priced about the same.

I think it depends on how much you are going to use it and if you are traveling with it. The controls are greatly improved on the Ike. You can use any wet lens with either.

That being said it's the camera and photographer that take the photos, not the housing. :wink:

Scott,
Jack,

Many thanks for your respond. I have just watched this comparison video Nauticam, Recsea, Ikelite Sony RX100 Underwater Housing Comparison | Bluewater Photo & Video on youtube and impressed of the Recsea one J Since making changes using buttons take too much time underwater, the control ring seems a life saver feature. Yes, I’m the photographer :) who wants to spend less time to control the camera underwater. By the way I travel a lot so the smallest/lightest one is better for me.

If you don’t mind I have 2 more questions :)

1-Which wet lenses - for macro- are compatible with “Recsea Sony RX-100 II Underwater Housing” ? Do I need to buy additional connection things to use wet lens?

2-Also I need to buy a small strobe to put on the camera while taking macro shoots. I don’t want to use arms or additional parts which make my camera bigger. Is there any strobe you may recommend ? (budget: $300-400)

Appreciate your comments.Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom