NEX 7 with 10-18 and Dome port buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlutzer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have used the 10-18 and dome port with the nauticam housing and found it to be a bit too positively boyent. Any thoughts on the best way to weight the housing and help keep it neutral?
Thanks!
Dave

even with strobes?

Currently I only use it with one strobe and and a sola lamp and the dome still pulls up to the sky. Another strobe would be nice and might help but it's a bit expensive for me at the moment.

I used the dome with the Zeiss 12mm with 2 z240 strobes, plate and arms and 4 bouyancy STIX floats. It worked well but was still a little heavy but v comfortable. Can add small lead ingot to your baseplate

I confirm, with my nex6, the 10-18 7"dome port and len is buoyant about 1 kg in salt water with one D1 strobe, baseplate and arms. Also the big dome rotate the camera dome-up and it is not so comfortable to counter rotate the set with your wrist. I counterbalance it with a lead wristband for gym (1 kg) around the base of the dome, but the rotating momentum still exists a little.
Better is to counterbalance the dome with many tiny tyre leads on the dome's hood, I see someone on Web that done it.
The best is to use a glass dome (Zen), but is costly.

Gracie giorgino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Giorgino

does the (Zen) port work for the 10-18? I thought it was only for the Zeiss 12. I thought about hanging a weight around the neck of the port, but was worried about putting any pressure on such a pivotal area. Last thing anyone wants is a leak. But what are these tyre weights? Do you have a photo of them? Many thanks from me and my achy wrists!

D

I guess they are the small lumps of lead used for wheel balance on your car tyres?
Yeh dont think will work with 10-18 and couldn't zoom?

I found the page about it:
Dome Port Weights

A glass port is heavier (and stronger), and could help, I think. But they are so costly
sad.gif
I use a lead wristband around the neck of the port without any issue on the port itself, but I lost the wristband on my last dive
11.gif
. I have another one, but perhaps I will change the system.

Yeh dont think will work with 10-18 and couldn't zoom?

Really I dont't know if there is a Zen dome working with 10-18, but I think their 160mm (7") one could work. It is a matter to find the right extension ring to have the right distance from the dome and the lens. Sure you can zoom, because the 36173 gear works inside the housing, and there is space to put it.
Last news: I noted this evening that Nauticam updated the port chart, and now there is an adapter ring (#36204) to fit N120 ports series (big ports, for reflex cameras) on N85 fittings of mirrorless Nauticam housings. That means you can use the 180mm Nauticam dome glass port #18809 on a Nauticam mirrorless housings, like that one for Nex5, 6 or 7. This means you can use either 10-18 and Zeiss 2,8/12mm behind the 180 glass Nauticam dome. Hi cost:(, but hi quality:D, I suppose:eyebrow:.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom