RX100 iii now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just purchased an RX100 iii and need to know what housing to go for. I am deciding between the Nauticam and Fantasea. I mostly shoot video and wide angle. I have a YS-D1 to add to the system already just need to know which housing and ports and why? Any help is appreciated!!

If you have time return it. Get yourself a Mark II you save $ and have more options around stills especially as the camera can take a semifisheye lens

If you really want to hang on to the mark III definitely get a Nauticam housing as the fantasea does not even take a wide angle lens and the m55 port is a limitation.

But again really if you have to. I can't think of any situation other than using an external video recorder like Ninja 2 you would want to get a Mark III

If u can do wat inceptor say.. Then great! Hahah.. Else...
Housing options.

I only recommend recsea or sea and sea housing alu housing. The reason being. You will have full control of aperture, shutter speed and iso...all at thr same time. Because they use the jog dial. Its a straight forward one hand/ thumb job :) just like how you will shoot on land

What about video? Does the rx100 III not take better video? Thats what I had thought?

There's quite a big price difference between the housings...
Of course the Nauticam is a better housing - better material, smaller, 67mm thread etc.
But with the price difference of the Fantasea housing you can afford a wide angle lens for the same price, which means very good value.
Fantasea's latest housing have been a huge success and very popular, so in the end I think it's a question of budget. If you can afford to get both the Nauticam housing & wide angle lens, go for that, otherwise, get the Fantasea + wide angle.
Here's a short comparison of all the options: Sony RX100 III - Underwater Housings Comparison

There's quite a big price difference between the housings...
Of course the Nauticam is a better housing - better material, smaller, 67mm thread etc.
But with the price difference of the Fantasea housing you can afford a wide angle lens for the same price, which means very good value.
Fantasea's latest housing have been a huge success and very popular, so in the end I think it's a question of budget. If you can afford to get both the Nauticam housing & wide angle lens, go for that, otherwise, get the Fantasea + wide angle.
Here's a short comparison of all the options: Sony RX100 III - Underwater Housings Comparison

That 55mm thread with mini dome will be borderline for video and most likely have reflections plus there won't be any real wide angle lenses to fit it properly
Not putting a 67mm thread has been a bit of a mistake for fantasea considering they also have a 67mm wet mate. I think they might have done it to push sales of their own lens nevertheless a misjudgement
If recsea does a plastic version for the mark III than I would get that one with a standard 67mm and LD bayonet

Still he advice is not to waste your time with the mark III you can get nauticam housing and mark II camera at lower cost

There is also the new Recsea CWS polycarbonate housing, which has a 67mm thread. $500.

I can't compare it to other housings, but was pleased with it on a recent trip.

I got the Mark iii as a gift so it is going to be the camera. I will get the Nauticam housing as it is the clear favorite. What is the wide angle lens to get with it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom