My first test with Sony RX 100 II Photo and Video examples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duarte

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone!

First I want to thank Ran Mor from Mozaik Underwater Cameras, Interceptor121 and everybody else that helped me on getting the right gear for UW photography/videography!

I went snorkeling to the Blue Hole in Belize last week and I think I got some nice shots for my first time doing UW photography: Underwater Photography - Duarte Dellarole

Would appreciate some feedback on that =)

But in terms of video I'm not liking the quality of the videos.

This is an example of the video I got:

[video=vimeo;117440184]https://vimeo.com/117440184[/video]

Well the quality on Vimeo is even worst because I didn't compress the video (see if you can download it)

I'm shooting in Video Mode; 60p (PS); Shutter speed is usually between 1/125 to 1/400

My UW gear is:

- Sony RX 100 II
- Ikelite Housing
- INON UHL H100 Type 1 Wide Angle WET LENS
- 2x ARCHON D32vr (didn't use them on the day snorkeling)

Can anybody let me know what I'm doing wrong in terms of video?

Thanks!

Hey Duarte!

Congrats on getting your gear!
The photos are great! I strongly advise shooting on RAW so you can adjust the WB and exposure better afterwards.
As for the video, I think the main issue is the direction of the sun. Notice that the sun is in front of you. We sometimes forget to regard the sun underwater but actually it makes a big difference and it is still the main lighting source. If you would have shot to the other direction I believe the colors would have been more vibrant and better sharpness too.
Make sure you adjust the WB before shooting video since that is something which is not easy to change in Post..

Good luck and post your dive photos / videos as well when you get a chance!

The video is OK, the issue you have is that you are at the surface and the sun is in front on the side of you.
Few suggestions
1. get a hood for the inon lens
2. Try to shoot with the sun behind you

At the surface auto white balance works so that is not the issue the video looks washed out because of the lighting

Thank you both for the tips! I think you are right about the sun. I was checking other videos and I have some better ones.

So I'm using the right settings?

Another question: when I'm using the INON wetlens is it okay to zoom on a creature for example? Or it's better to do it without the wetlens? I kinda feel it looses some quality when zoomed.

I'll be in Belize for 5 months so I'll keep sharing my videos and photos! :)

Back
Top Bottom