Sony RX100 M1 or M3?

which camera for UW

• Sony RX100 M1

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Sony RX100 M3

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just started diving. Now it´s time to get an UW case for my camera (but i don´t know for which of my cameras). I own a Sony RX100 M1 and a M3 as well. I´m interested in taking stills. I don´t want to take extra equipment with me (like an external strobe).

So the RX100 M1 is 28mm-100mm. The RX100 M3 is 24mm-70mm but compared to the M1 much better in getting more light on the sensor. I read a little bit on some UW reviews of both cameras. Now i´m not sure which camera i should use for diving. Any suggestions?

The case i wanted to go for is the Meikon (https://www.google.ae/search?q=meik...ei=VEsmVabWMtLgaLyzgrAC&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=1)

Thanks in advance Marcel

Sony MkII
Ha ha ha
This was going to be my answer! Why dont you sell the 1 & 3 and buy a 2?

Marcel, soon enough you will be needing a strobe to take anything that resembles a decent shot. There are very limited opportunities for ambient light photography.

You may be able to pick up cheaper housing for the 1 if you are on a budget. And the 1 at least allows you to use proper WA wet lenses.
BUT as I'm sure you have experienced the 1 definitely does take its time to focus and take a shot, so in this respect the 3 is definitely better.
Sooooo which one should you go with???
....... The 2!

Just took these shots with a Mk1: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk9FEetx

I'm no expert, but I think these are reasonable for a compact.

The ONLY complaints I have about the Mk1 are the flash recycle time on WA work and that it only stops down to f11. But I think these are limitations inherent to all compacts, so can't knock it, really.

The 3 for stills has got an inadequate lens 24mm is too wide and 70mm is too short

Sony RX100 Mark III

The 1 and 2 have the same image quality however flash recycle is better on the 2 and so is video modes
Because the flash only shoots in TTL when you do wide angle you have to wait around 3 seconds more with the MK I compared to the Mk II if this does not bother you and you don't shoot video than there are no major differences at all
This is my MK II still rig

Sony RX100 Mark II Photo Rig | Interceptor121 Underwater Photo & Video Blog

This is the write up I vs II
Sony RX100M2

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom