Galapagos liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stouffer

Reaction score
My husband and I are heading there in August and are looking for a good liveaboard trip that costs under $2000.Do they exist? I am divemaster level but have only dived in walm tropical waters with rarely a current. I have read quite a lot about the conditions and expect it to be difficult but am physically fit so hope to be able to deal with it. Any advice welcome.

Couple of things.. I've not had too much luck posting in the specific categories (such as Wetsuits, or South America), but have done quite well with the general equipement, general travel etc. Double posting is a no-no on this board, but if in a few days you don't get too much you may want to try general travel.

I'm getting totally psyched to leave for the Galapagos (Sunday), and have been doing a little net-surfing. Check out this link, (Rodale's) it gives a description of Cocos and Galapagos, (amongst other places... the 13 'must sees' of the diving world). At the end of the Coco's/Galapagos section, it lists a group of liveaboards to contact, you can probably find them by doing a search.

http://www.scubadiving.com/feature/specials/wonders/#cocos

I'm finding some good stuff just doing a search on Rodale's for Galapagos, although most of it is not Galapagos specific but rather they are included in the article/poll. Still, interesting.

Hi Stouffer,

I know of no live-aboard that runs a week itinerary to the better Galapagos sites for <$2,000 after all is added in.

It's one of the world's great dive venues, however, and worth the cost of the new Hughes boat or one of the two Aggressors.

Think it over.

DocVikingo

And Doc (as usual) is correct. While in Quito I checked a couple of the trekking companies that specialized in Galalpagos to see what I could find. The area where they are all located in Quito is near the Hilton and the Alameda hotels. There are a ton of places that advertise 'last minute deals' to the Galapagos, but usually they are land based focused; while diving is possible it is almost impracticle.

I did find one tour agency that was booking a trip on a nice looking 70 ft boat (whose brochure I have somewhere, but I haven't unpacked yet). They take 14 divers and are leaving on August 8th with three days in Wolf/Darwin. I can't remember which one it is (the boat starts with a 'D') but one of these tour companies will help you:
mauri@accessinter.net http://www.ecuadorexplorer.com/latintour
or
guiasmontania@accessinter.net http://www.companiadeguias.com

But, I would seriously consider going with Agressor or Hugh's or Lamar Law (10 day trip only, to the nothern islands)... I just got back on Saturday and will post a trip report shortly.

Hi mattiedread,

Thank you for the kind words, welcome home & please don't keep us waiting.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Dear Mattie Dread

Thanks very much for all your advice so far. We are off next saturday and have found out since that both the agressors and lammer law do not run in august as this is the worst month for diving. I think the boat you mention may be the New Daphne which was quoting $1960. I would be interested to hear your report and please let me know where I can find it when you have a moment. If you have any other recommendations for ecuador in general I would also be keen to hear. Email is ireland_jude@hotmail.com. If you are ever in the BVI please look us up.

Jude

Hi Stouffer,

I'm not familiar with all of the New Daphne options, but do be aware that on most diving days they typically offer only 2 dives a day, with a max of 3 dives/day at Wolf & Darwin, as opposed to the 3-4 per day offered by some of the other liveaboards in the region. Divers looking for max gonzo diving for the considerable money involved in such a trip might be unhappy with this situation.

Also, I suspect the price of $1,960 you quoted does not include the park fee & other extras, which will put you somewhat over $2,000 after all is added in (not mention any gratuity).

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom