Opinion on Diving Chile, Brazil or Columbia????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiveilat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
USA, SOUTH AMERICA, HAWAII, BAHAMAS, CHILE, ISRAEL
# of dives
So!

What's the opinion on diving the oceans of South America.

Have ever dove any of them? Some have provided inputs on Isla De Pascua. However the diving is low. Is it perhaps because it's too far? Or the barrier of the language. Input of your opinion or discussions on diving South America.

Are you interested in diving there or thinking of diving there in the near future. All inputs your are appreciated.

In Brazil you can dive in some nice places. Fernando de Noronha and the wrecks of Recife are some examples. Both places have a lot of marine life and diversity. Fernando de Noronha has a very nice wreck, called Corveta. It's a battleship and it's nearly intact.

Diving in Colombia is highly underrated; they have some good, world class diving.

Try Tayrona National Park, near Santa Marta (i wrote a report in 2008/9) and Providencia island, one of the last unspoiled paradises' of this earth.

Both are great, have cool local vibe and are reasonably priced.

I've been diving central Chile for the last 14 years. The diving here is cold and the water's turbid most of the time (pretty similar to central California, but no lush kelp forests). Dive ops are few and far between so getting airfills between dives is a hassle and boat charters are even rarer. That said there are some spots that are very nice when conditions allow it: Los Molles & Quintay to name but two that have ops on the shore and have boats. But it's still thick wetsuit (7mm+) or drysuit country. While getting to the spots may take some effort if you don't know Spanish, most of these ops have staff that do speak enough spanglish for you to get by if you don't know any Spanish.

Easter island is a whole other situation. The visibility is fantastic (I was just there in may) but the water's not as warm as you'd expect. For multi-dive days you'll want to use a 5mm suit, but in the austral summer you could probably get by with a 3mm from what I've been told). There are 3 dive ops that I know of all of which have multilingual staff (Spanish, Rapa, English and French where what I heard most). But yea it's isolated and there isn't much else to do on the island. When I was there we dove every day and spent the afternoons sightseeing the island. We easily finished it all in 3 days, but there were still loads of places to go diving. You'll find mostly broken spanglish in town. I would definitely recomend Easter to anybody with the resources to get there. It's not that expensive from Santiago.

Diving in Colombia is highly underrated; they have some good, world class diving.

Try Tayrona National Park, near Santa Marta (i wrote a report in 2008/9) and Providencia island, one of the last unspoiled paradises' of this earth.

Both are great, have cool local vibe and are reasonably priced.

I second that !!!

Back
Top Bottom