Diving in Brazil in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7d1s

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I will be in Brazil in August (flying in and out of Sao Paulo) and considering doing my Advanced Open Water PADI certification while there.

Have read into the options of either Ihla Grande or Arraial do Cabo but not sure how water temps will be?

I have done around 15 dives combined between Mexico and Australia and would need to hire equipment to

I understad it is winter but just looking for some advice on whether it is simply a bad time of year to be doing this in Brazil

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Ilha Grande and Arraial do Cabo are really great spots for diving. Ilha Grande is to the west of Rio de Janeiro, while Arraial do Cabo is east.
Arraial do Cabo, Cabo Frio and Búzios are three towns in the same region, I would advise you to stay either in Búzios or Cabo Frio simply because I found the diving there slightly better. This region is well known for it´s cold waters, but because we are in the winter thermoclines are deeper and so that should not be a problem.
Ilha Grande is equally good, but has a lot more dive spots and are more easily accessible. In my opinion it is better suited for an Advanced course, but you should seek training in São Paulo.
Although tropical the visibility is not so good (7 m average, 10 m good) in SE Brazil, so don´t expect caribbean clear waters, but winter is a better season for diving here (visibility and temperature wise).
IF you like I could refer some hotels, diveshops and boat trips.

regards

I will be going to buzios and would enjoy your recommendations

thank you

Back
Top Bottom