Gorgona Island from Buenaventura?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubawankenobi

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm taking off 3wks, visiting South America at the end of the year (Dec 20-Jan 11th), visiting family on Colombia.

Talked spouse into breaking trip up (between Bogota & Cali) with 8days dedicated diving in Carib.
Settled on Roatan, thanks to oustanding advice/discussions here on SB (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...providencia-end-year-1st-week-jan-2014-a.html).

Re: Side trip after flying into Cali
Will be visiting family north of Cali (Tulua area), for about 10days. Being greedy to fit more diving in, I was looking at Gorgona Island - possibly leaving from Buenaventura. Family could stay a few days in Buenaventura enjoying coast & I could do some dives off Gorgona Island.

Re: Gorgona Island ( somewhere between Jan 2nd & Jan 10th)
Temp - I know it'll be cooler that time of year, but I'm used to chilly waters. Saw it can be as low as 15C (59F) so instead of packing 5mm, might rent a 7mm?
Off-season (?) - See this as off-season but hoping there's still dive boats (live-aboard?)? Again, don't mind colder temp - still warmer than home here in BC (48F).

I also saw mention of a dive center in Buenaventura, Gorgona Padi Diving Center?, but after quick searches haven't found dive shops yet.

Logistics questions - anyone know :
Is Gorgona is dived in early Jan?
Is possible to do a short(er) excursion? I found live-aboard diving for **$890 (4 days, 2 days diving?)
I saw there's a 2hr high-speed boat ride to the island, leaving from Guapi. If I can dive from island this might be cheaper/more convenient (save 1day motoring each way on live-aboard?) & still get 2days of diving.

**Roatan is $888 for 8days, so probably getting ~30 dives in there for same price as ~8 dives off Gorgona for $890?
Schedule I found (2014), guessing might be repeat in 2015:
http://pacific-diving.com/liveaboards/gorgona-island-liveaboard/

I'm probably being greedy here trying to get in some extra diving while in South America (Colombia), but Gorgona does look interesting.

If my only options is a repeat of the 2014 live-aboard schedule ( Jan 4-7 ), that probably won't work.
Sister-in-law, from Bogota, mentioned interest in visiting the island next year, so could always plan diving it then.

Anyhow... as always - input/ideas is much appreciated.
Doug

Doug,
some answers to your questions.
I don't think they have 7mm for rent, Which boat do you found ( seawolf ) is the only acceptable one, you have to fly Cali - Guapi and then the boat but diving in Gorgona is around 100 USD 2 tank dive, Aviatur is running the dive shop in Gorgona, write to Alvaro ALVARO JAIME CUERVO MORENO (alvaro.cuervo@aviatur.com) he can give you all details, And for sure you don't want to leave your family in Buenaventura, forget it.
Have fun Max

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2014 at 04:25 PM ----------

I forgot, the time you are talking about is absolutely high season 26 dec til 12 January so all will be fully booked , take this in your mind for transpoartaion and hotel booking.
Max

Thanks for the info Max!

A couple of more questions if you, or others, have ideas on:
1. Gorgona worth making the trip to dive? Note: I we have to make it by planning another (separate) trip later, I'm thinking of saving the time/travel $ and booking Galapagos (live-aboard).
2. From Buenaventura (or nearby) - any "local" diving from their? Either shore or boat dives (i.e. can do single day)? Thinking about this if we decide to book a few days stay at the coast. Deciding whether I'll bring my scuba gear (it'll be otherwise kept @ mom-n-laws house in Tulua, following our return from Roatan).

Thanks again!

Gorgona is better in May when Manta Ray passes, or july Agust when humppack whales are around. But In January i don't know if you want Galapagos talk to Jorge Tip Top Diving
Max

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 06:17 AM ----------

and no local diving aroound Buenaventura, just forget it a hitty harbour town

Gorgona is better in May when Manta Ray passes, or july Agust when humppack whales are around. But In January i don't know if you want Galapagos talk to Jorge Tip Top Diving
Max

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 06:17 AM ----------

and no local diving aroound Buenaventura, just forget it a hitty harbour town

Thanks again Max!

Will skip packing gear for this part of the trip ( let it dry out after Roatan :wink: ). If Gorgona comes up again next year, will plan the timing accordingly (sister-in-law mentioned Aug).
I'm going to try to shift the return plans to that side excursion to Galapagos - will talk to Jorge.

Doug,
Hi,you can dive the whole year in gorgona. You wont need 7 mm wet suit. Gorgona is great for diving since it is a well protected national park. Big animals a lot of fauna. There is nothing to do for your family at Buenaventura. I live in Cali, Ive been in Gorgona a few times and I can give you detailed info about diving trips to Gorgona or equipment fro rental. ¿Have you considered Malpelo?. Write to me. jdrnaranjo@hotmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom