GALAPAGOS 1-8 MARCH is this good time to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curamax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I have a good deal for galapagos liveaboard on that week.

I dont mind about water temperatures or currents , my only concern its about what to see !

Is this good week for shark action? I known that is not whaleshark season, but in this forum some people post that is the best season for hammerheads! and others post that hammerheas go away to cocos. who´s right?

what else can I expect in this week?

thanks

Hammerhead populations are diminished then and since water is warmer, those that didn't migrate to Cocos are deeper as they prefer the cooler water. That's probably why they're always deeper in Cocos than in Galapagos. Galapagos sharks (primarily Wolf) don't migrate.

Hi curamax,

Galapagos is a destination that will surprise you all-year-round.

December to May is the warm and rainy season, you may see a bit less sharks but the water is warm and the sea is quite flat.

June to November is the “cold” and dry season, there are more sharks around but the water temperature is colder and the sea is more rough.

I believe Galapagos are always nice and you can find hammerheads easily in every season.

You can find more info about seasons, dive sites and Galapagos in general here: Scuba Diving in Galapagos - Élite Diving Agency

Thanks for the help.

Finally I did take the deal for that date.(1-8 march)

Can any one tell me wich wetsuit should I bring? 3mm?
or my other option is 8/7mm semidry Henderson wetsuit, but isn´t to much?

3mm is not enough in Galapagos at any time of the year. If you are on an itinerary that goes out west (Punta Vicente Roca or Cabo Douglas), it is cold year round and you need 7 mm there year round.

Thanks for the help.

Finally I did take the deal for that date.(1-8 march)

Can any one tell me wich wetsuit should I bring? 3mm?
or my other option is 8/7mm semidry Henderson wetsuit, but isn´t to much?

It is really warm topside and cold underwater. I was cold in a 7mm wetsuit.

If you are going to be doing a lot of diving, I'd take a drysuit.

You will need more than a 3 for sure!!!!!!!!!

It was an amazing week.

lots of hammerhead , galapagos sharks , eagle rays , penguins, the dive with iguanas was great , sea lions in many different dives , one mola mola, even one whaleshark at darwin, dolphins at the surface, turtles , bat fish, and more!!

The galapapagos sky its great!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom