Isla Providencia Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacoRocco6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are planning a trip for two weeks to Isla Providencia...thinking about going right after Christmas. Anyone know what the weather/viz/water temperature going to be around this time? Hoping to get in at least 20 dives.

Trying to decide which dive operator to use and where to stay as well. Looking at Felipe's Diving and Sirius Dive Center for a dive op. Any experiences with either one would be appreciated. A Non-Cattle Boat Op that will let us dive our own profiles would be preferred. As far as accommodations go we'd like a hotel under $90/night and as close to dive shop as possible.

Also, does anyone know if there is any transportation between San Andres and the Corn Islands. Been to Little Corn Island many times and would like to make this a two part trip if possible. They're very close together geographically and I'm hoping to find an intrepid boat captain to ferry us from San Andres to Big Corn. Otherwise, it would be a flight to Costa Rica, flight or bus to Managua, and then another flight to Big Corn. Seems sorta ridiculous and I would love to find a quicker & cheaper way.

There is definitly no transporation between Corn and Providencia. You should check with Felipe and Sirious, they also can helpo with acc, keep in mind that from 26th dec till 12 Jan is high season due to vacations so rooms and spaces in the flights and the cat can be pretty full booked.
Max

Paco I am headed to Providencia in May to dive for two weeks. Any suggestions for our trip ... I am assuming you have come and gone by now. Thxs!

Never went! We went to St Eustatius instead (awesome diving, use Golden Rock if you ever go).

From my research both Felipe's & Sirius offer great diving. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Please post a trip report when you get back. There's precious little info on Scubaboard regarding Isla Providencia/San Andres.

St. Eustatius and Saba are on our list ... one day! Glad to hear you had an awesome time!

I will do my best to provide a report upon our return - there really is very little info out there. We are staying with Sirius, so will be diving with them too.

Hi all!
Since there is almost no info about Providencia here, I just wanted to share my (very little) experience about the island and the diving there.

I stayed on the island for 3 days back in April 2014 and did a single discover scuba dive with Felipe Diving Center.
The dive itself was amazing (it was my second discover scuba, the previous one was in San Andres) and we did everything from the theory class to the dive with Felipe himself. The guys is amazing, very knowledgeable and easy going. We had some very nervous people in our group but he made everything to make sure their dive was enjoyable (and they thought it was).

When we arrived at the dive shop, we told him we would like to dive with sharks (as he is famous for that), and so he took us to a spot about 30 min from the coast where we started our descent. And after just a few meters down, there were the sharks. They were around 1,5m in size, maybe slightly less, and there were around 5 or 6 on the site.
Felipe caught a lionfish and kept waving it in front of the sharks, so they started circling him. Eventually they caught the fish and just minded their own business.
Apart from the sharks, there was very little sea life and corals. The visibility was around 15m that day, which is below average for Providencia.

Now, about the island itself: it's a very small and very peaceful place (much more than San Andres) and it's a perfect place to relax. There's not much to do, specially at night, but they do have some very nice hotels and restaurants (Deep Blue comes to mind). You can get there by boat (3h) or plane (15min) from San Andres.

Thanks for the info, I'll be there in a few weeks.

I'd heard similar stories about Felipe and booked with another shop specifically so lionfish wouldn't be fed to wildlife on our dives. I'm all for control and eradication of them, but having people feeding them to predators during a dive creates dangerous interactions between divers and wildlife. Just my 2 cents, don't spend it all in one place.

Can't WAIT to get to the island though. It sounds like just my kind of place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom