Galapagos Sky Aug 17-24 2014 Trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annap291

New
Reaction score
This is my first time posting on ScubaBoard, but I come here all the time for trip advice and trip planning, so I wanted to post a review of our recent trip to the Galapagos, focusing on the things I wish I knew before we went.

My husband and I (both advanced warm-water divers with ~150 dives under our belt) spent a week on the Galapagos Sky on Aug 17-24, 2014. We were nervous about the trip because we have never worn more than a 3 mm wetsuit and have generally done easy diving in the Caribbean and the Maldives. We are so glad we went. This was a trip of a lifetime and easily the best diving we have ever done (and may ever do).

The trip: we spent 7 nights onboard the Galapagos Sky. The highlights of the trip were the dives at Wolf (5 dives) and Darwin (6 dives), as well as the marine iguana dive at Isabella. We had 3 land excursions, but they seemed more of an after-thought, with the focus being on the diving. We saw about 12 whale sharks and hundreds (thousands?) of hammerheads at Wolf and Darwin. We also saw a couple of mola-molas, lots of Galapagos sharks, turtles, eagle rays, tons of dolphins (underwater!), penguins, red-lipped batfish (really unique), seahorses, tuna and other stuff I’m sure I’m forgetting. Topside we saw lots of boobies, a breaching mobila, tortoises (during one of the land excursions) and whales. All in 7 days!

Conditions: we were pleasantly surprised by the generally manageable currents. According to our guides, the currents were better than usual, so you never know, but the current was mild to moderate. On most dives we dropped down close to a wall, grabbed on to a rock and waited for fish to come. There was some swimming and some drifting at times, but we did not spend a lot of time fighting the current. All dives are done off the pangas, most with negative entry into about 20-30 feet of water, but it was not hard getting used to this. The water temperature ranged from 68 degrees to 79 degrees (Wolf and Darwin were much warmer than further south). We wore 7 mm wetsuits with hoods (7 mm) and gloves (5 mm) and 7 mm booties. We were nice and toasty during the Wolf/Darwin dives, but a little cold for the dive at Pinzon. We rented wet-suits on the boat and they were generally in good condition. Nitrox was complimentary on the boat and definitely worth doing.

The boat: we highly recommend the Galapagos Sky. The boat was well-maintained and the staff highly professional. Our guides were Nick and Natasha, and they were both awesome – well informed, safety-conscious, but not overbearing. The food was great with lots of variety and international choices. Breakfast and lunch were buffet, and dinner was a 3-course meal with complimentary wine/beer. There were no engine troubles, the rooms were very clean, with turn-down service in the afternoon. The staff had hot towels and hot chocolate for us after the dives. There weren’t any engine troubles with the boat. One day there wasn’t any hot water to shower with, but it was quickly fixed.

The Galapagos is an amazing place and definitely worth visiting/splurging on. Of note, we saw some illegal fishing and shark-finning going on at Darwin/Wolf. Our guides tried hard to notify the authorities, but there was little response. Not sure what else can be done, but just trying to raise awareness.

Here is a link to our video from the trip:
Galapagos Underwater on Vimeo

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thank you for your trip report.

Sorry to hear about the finning & no response.

I would like to hear more about the finning. Please PM me your phone or email. Anyone take any photos of the act, the boats doing it? There is a new Park director who is a serious scientist and will take actions. On our website, under Make a Difference, we have this:

One of the ways you can help is to take photos of any fishing boats you see anchored or fishing from small boats close to Darwin and Wolf. Get the boat name and registration number if possible. Get photos of any fishermen. Send it to us or directly or to the Galapagos National Park. While many are legal fishing boats, fishing close to those islands is illegal. And what diver wants to share a site with fishermen?

The reality of all liveaboards is that all crew members either were fishermen or have fishermen in their families, so they can't turn anyone in. You can.

would you please tell me which brand of 7mm wetsuit you wore for the dive? the store kept on telling me 5-7mm is for winter and water below 50 degree. but I'm always cold and would like to get the warmest. maybe different brand has different warmth, so I'd like to know the one you wore.

if you just snorkel, 7mm is too warm even in coldest water?

Thanks very much!

Camille

Camillex424...I think you have cross posted from the wetsuit question. I have dived Galapagos in Bare, Aqualung, Tilos and ScubaPro 7mm wetsuits though I lean towards Bare. Many like Pinnacle Merino. We don't have winter in Galapagos. The water is colder between June and mid Nov due to the polar Humboldt current arriving in Galapagos. Everyone finds 7mm more comfortable at any dive site in Galapagos. I only wear a beanie out west Punta Vicente Roca where 54 F is not uncommon. I don't get cold as easily as some others do. I have never found 5mm gloves necessary as you need them more for protection against barnacle covered rocks than for warmth. 5mm should be fine for snorkeling. Again, if you go between late Dec - May, the water is much warmer especially at the surface.

ANNAP291

I'm making my first trip to Galapagos in Aug of 2015. Every morning I watch at least one, diver guest shot, video before work. This is the best by far. Thanks for sharing. I only shoot stills, but am planing on trying video on my trip. May I ask which camera you were using.

Thanks Mike

PS: I'm also a supporter of a group called ( FINS ATTACHED) and am saddened to here about the fining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom