Brazil........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amisha

Reaction score
England - but i seem to get around the globe a lot
Hi,

I am a BSAC Ocean and Sports diver. However i only qualified this year, and haven't done that many dives. I am planning on going backpacking through december and january. At the moment it looks as if i am going to Brazil, and possibly Argentina and Uraguy. Not entirely sure yet. I really want to do atleast two weeks diving, so I am looking for somewhere good and safe, and fun.

This is the first time I have gone away diving alone, so am not sure - if i need to contact schools in advance etc. any help that anybody can offer me whould be really cool!!!

So basically i want good dive sites, and the name of the school i should dive through. Also any hints on getting around on a budget etc would be good too!!!

my portugese isn't up to scratch - so i need an english speaking instructor

only one month to go.......

thanks x

If you want to do 2 weeks diving then you should look at Recife. There are 4 good operators. I normally go with Projeto Mar.
http://www.projetomar.com.br
The only thing is that all the good sites are in the range 24m - 48m and these are open sea boat dives sometimes with a fairly strong surface current, but calm down below.
Since Recife is a largish city you will find accomodation in all price ranges. From pousadas to hotels.
If your budget runs to it you should try Fernando de Noronha. But by now all the pousadas will be fully booked up for the end of the year so you would have to search for a packet deal. From Recife or from Natal.
Down in the south-east you could try Arraial do Cabo, Buzios and Ilha Grande/Angra dos Reis.
Any of these names in combination with the word "mergulho" (dive) will turn up quite a few sites on Google.

i second the advice on fernando de noronha--it is gorgeous! above and below water! it's a little pricey for brazil, but not compared to the u.s. i did my first dives there and the crew was very nice and professional, spoke english (i speak spanish, not portuguese), and helped me become addicted to diving! there are only 2 dive shops on the island (i think), so the reefs aren't packed and it will be easy to choose who to dive with!

i suggest doing whatever you can to get there-- it's a fantastic place. one other piece of advice-- you can buy a pack of flights within brazil through the airline you fly there on, from the u.s. this is often the cheapest option for getting around, especially if you go to fdn, since flights there can be expensive.

feel free to contact me if you want any more info about the area, i fell in love with it and love to discuss!

Wish I could go to Fernando Noronho. Not enough time though. Diving a day or two in Rio with Divers Quest. Then on to Ilha Grande for 6 days. Staying at Opescador. Only 6 weeks to go before leaving. Should be fun.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Diver's Quest!!!! Hehehe. And you can totally tell them I said that. I did my divemaster AND my instructor courses with them and they are just great (I was working at an IDC center as a DM and STILL went all the way back to Brasil). For any diving in the Rio area (including Ilha Grande, Arraial do Cabo, and Buzios) I would contact Diver's Quest and they can hook you up with a hotel/diving package. Jan/Feb is just about the best diving in the Rio area. Carnival time was when I always got the best viz and life in Rio (loads of turtles and spotted eagle-rays).
If you can make it to Noronha, I would definately pick diving there over anywhere else. There are 3 dive shops but only 2 I would recommend (Atlantis and Aguas Claras). They have a better boats and staff. Best diving in Brasil!!
As for the Recife comment, I'm surprised anyone would mention it as there IS great diving but conditions are rough, diving is advanced, and not as readily available as most other dive destinations in Brasil.
If you are interested in a liveaboard, then check out Abrolhos. Relatively shallow dives, lots of life, and quality liveaboards.
Any questions, just ask.

Oh yeah, check out my profile picture for a glimpse of Noronha diving ... hehehe.
It is the famous Corveta wreck.... very cool dive!!
(I totally forgot I had that pic up...hehe)

Unfortunately, I still have a real job and cant take off more that about 1.5 weeks at a time. Spending 23,24,25 in Rio. Heading to Ilha Grande on 26th. Return to Rio Jan 1. Go home night of Jan 2. Not enough time thats for sure.

divinglife:
As for the Recife comment, I'm surprised anyone would mention it as there IS great diving but conditions are rough, diving is advanced, and not as readily available as most other dive destinations in Brasil.

I did mention the conditions in my post:
"The only thing is that all the good sites are in the range 24m - 48m and these are open sea boat dives sometimes with a fairly strong surface current, but calm down below."

But that doesn't alter the fact that with the exception of Noronha I consider it the best diving in Brazil and I don't understand what you mean by "not as readily available". Joel, from ProjetoMar goes out every day in the summer as do the other 3 local operators.
I dive there every year as my wife has family there and we have a place to stay. I look upon the dives during the rest of the year as just staying in training.

In any case it all depends what you call "advanced", all the local operators do the basic OW checkout on the Pirapama, 24m. After you learn to dive in those conditions, anything else comes easy. :eyebrow:

undefined
Amisha:
Hi, hello. i ´m a scuba instructor and live in Ubatuba(it´s 3 hours from Sao paulo or Rio) and one of the best places in brazil. we have a bed & breakfast accomodations and a PADI dive center and we also speak english.
Ubatuba has several islands to dive and wonderful beaches to go, waterfalls, fun.
visit us at: www.omnimare.com.br
Hope to hear from you,
Elsie

I am a BSAC Ocean and Sports diver. However i only qualified this year, and haven't done that many dives. I am planning on going backpacking through december and january. At the moment it looks as if i am going to Brazil, and possibly Argentina and Uraguy. Not entirely sure yet. I really want to do atleast two weeks diving, so I am looking for somewhere good and safe, and fun.

This is the first time I have gone away diving alone, so am not sure - if i need to contact schools in advance etc. any help that anybody can offer me whould be really cool!!!

So basically i want good dive sites, and the name of the school i should dive through. Also any hints on getting around on a budget etc would be good too!!!

my portugese isn't up to scratch - so i need an english speaking instructor

only one month to go.......

thanks x

Diversquest reports their boat is currently out of service. Are there other dive shops in Rio who have boats that go out from Marina Gloria on local dives. Anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated. Saw some on web page but dont know anything about them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom