Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roatan Man,

I am writing to ask you from some further insight on diving in the Galapagos. I actually spent 3 months down there as an intern for Galapagos Sub Aqua in 1995 (my father is Ecuadorian). I have since become an instructor but have not had a chance to go back yet. I am currently trying to gather information on land based diving for my uncle, who is going down for approximately one week in late February. Both you and my father speak very highly of ScubaIguana. I wanted to ask you which dive sites you visited with ScubaIguana and your impressions of them. I remember Gordon Rocks and several Academy Bay dive sites fairly well, but am interested in your opinion of some of the others (not sure if you mentioned them all in your trip report). Any advice would be appreciated.

David Cabrera

Scuba Iguana (http://www.scubaiguana.com/) was great - they do 2 tank day trips, leaving early morning - this means they do not do Darwin and Wolf Islands (but you may be able to arrange to join a live aboard for 2-3 days for that)...the people are very friendly and also speak english (so you can drop them an e-mail and they can answer any questions / come up with an itinery). Their website has some "sample" itineries, but they are very flexible, e.g. I came on a different day etc. They also have giudes/DMs in the water to show you the best stuff.

One more question. Any wreck dives in the Galapagos?

cabrerad:
One more question. Any wreck dives in the Galapagos?

I never saw any.

In relation to prior follow up questions. I am not a log book keeper. I could pretty well put dots on the map of the islands as to where they took us. Academy Bay and Gordon Rocks are two names I remember and with good reason! They were great!

We dove up by Baltra and around the NW side as well.

Then were back in the village to stroll thru the Darwin Station, watch a town volleyball game, a Navy Inspection, shop in the stores, visit truly eclectic galleries, and have dinner at a different lovely restaurant each night.

Mathias Espinosa, the owner of ScubaIguana is an icon of the Galapagos. He has been quoted many times in National Geographic, in many films, and was one of two people that were on camera in the IMAX Galapagos 3D.

This is a class act.

Back
Top Bottom