Where is a good coastal place to dive in Central Fl. this weekend? Good weather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasheree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good weather? Dive sites? We are coming from North Alabama and was planning to dive Sarasota area...but it appears it will be yucky? tell me where it will be nice!! need our dive fix!!

You can skip the coast and go to Devils Den or Blue Grotto..!!

Turns out we made to trip on down to the keys......Key Largo.We are very glad that we did. It was a great trip!!!! :D I will post details a bit later...gotta get some zzzzzz's

Buzz and I did not get the Sarasota trip in...instead we went down to the KEYS...weather was bad in the central fl area...and not in the keys and so we said..."heck lets go" and so we did! We booked it and went.

Stayed with the same outfit Sea Dwellers, as before, no regrets! Would I recommend them...yes. Good prices as well and you stay at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo..nice place..clean.
Day one:
We dove the Speigle Grove the 1st dive out with them, yay! they knew us right off! Knew Buzz was a DM and I was Advanced so all was good.Water temp was great..in the upper 70's ...The grove was soooooo clear I have only been on the SG 2 other times and never seen it this clear, it was like diving a shallow wreck, really! virtually no current and great vis! nothing like what we normally experience. The Flag was laying down so I had to pick it up per say for Buzz to take my pick with it. Temp was great and vis great what more could you ask for...Ok more time down..but can't have it all! I guess we would not appreciate it if it were that easy to do huh?

the next dive was good vis as well. waters were a little more choppy, wind was picking up. A shallow reef dive at French Reef. Nice dive. But remember they really don't have many days of bad vis/diving down there!

Day two:

We knew it would be 2 reef dives because of the weather..they were complaining of the cold...upper 60's and lower 70's at 8:15 am, boohoo I say! There was snow on the ground back home so I had been told. They laughed at me. They were talking about the north wind and the choppy waters...well they knew about that! because there was no chop on the surface...BUT underneath...there was a current, even in the shallows and the Captain knew there would be. So we headed to Molasses Reef..1st dive not much current, good dive.. we moved on up the reef a bit....not a good idea....2nd dive....kick'n current! Buzz and I dropped in and used the line and went to the bottom ( I had some issues clearing my left ear but was able to do so fairly easy at 20 ft, but I had to put some effort into it, rather than the usual mindless clear as you go down process). The Captain had asked that we all do a 1/2 point come up and give a surface OK at 1750 or 30 minute check in...so at that point Buzz and I found a close Buoy and came up the line, did our safety, checked in...with another couple...as we were trying to descend, we hit a pretty hard current that rolled Buzz and he could not Dump his air well. I also had problems dumping mine ( I had previously had problems with my alternate air source sticking for a few minutes in a previous dive so that is what I thought was going on) so once I hit it with my hand, I dive bombed the
reef trying to get below this ripping current...it worked but in the process I was looking around for Buzz, You know in that kind of current you don't want to loose you buddy (and My hubby).... that is when I busted my eardrum, oh yay! so I went back to the line and back up I went...not happy with myself! Buzz came to me we went up. Thank God it was almost the end of the dive anyway. So now 6 weeks no diving. Thank God its December and not July!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom