Interested in NC Wreck around the Holidays (Christmas) - Please Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Stallings

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello All,

My fiancé and I are interested in doing some penetration wreck dives in NC around Christmas time when we travel to visit her family. While doing research I found many dive shops out of business and not one of the in business shops I e-mailed ever responded to me, thus I am hoping a knowledgeable soul here may be able to help out.

We'll be staying in Durham, so driving is going to be mandatory. As such is the weather usually an issue in December?
I need to know what outfits do wreck dives in December, and any recommendations would be helpful.
What’s the UW Temps usually like that time of year? I.E. how bundled up will we need to be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, also if there is an important question that I am missing please do advise me.

-Chris

Check with Olympus Dive Center out of Morehead City, NC. Olympus Dive Center

Average Dive Conditions
MonthAir TempWater TempVisibility
January57*F60*F40ft
February59*F55*F40ft
March65*F60*F40ft
April72*F65*F50ft
May79*F68*F50ft
June85*F72*F70ft
July88*F78*F80-100ft
August88*F80*F100+ft
September85*F80*F100+ft
October77*F76*F75ft
November71*F68*F60ft
December64*F60*F50ft

Hey Pedro,

Thanks for the info. It looks like December is going to be chilly diving. Oh YAY! :)

Thanks for the info rlskill1, I am checking with them and Olympus.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good wreck diving for advanced rec divers with no penetration experience?

Any of the wrecks offshore NC would be good with or without penetration experience. Just stay out of the wreck. Lots to see on the outside anyway!

Easy penetration dive is the Indra, Others, a little more advanced, are the Spar and the different sections of the Aeolus. (once you chase the sharks out!!)

Back
Top Bottom