Diving Scorpion Bay Marina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to start this thread as a focal point of info about diving at the Scorpion Bay Marina. I sent the marina's general manager an email and he replied that we could dive there but it hasn't gone to well as of yet. I've heard a lot of good things about how it was diving there in the past and am hoping that we can go back without any problems. Here is a copy of another email I sent today to Cris McSparen, the general manager at Scorpion Bay Marina.

Cris,

I met a couple of dive buddies there on 5/4 and were pretty much turned away. The assistant manager was there and said that he hadn't heard anything about people being able to dive there and they were still doing construction so he didn't want us to be there. We left and dove elswhere.

Yesterday I heard about another couple of divers that did dive there on 5/3 but were ticketed by the Sheriff's department because of the No Trespassing signs that were there. They were told that the signs were supposed to have been taken down.

I live in Chandler and can't get up to the lake during regular business hours without taking time off work. I know that there are a bunch of divers that really want to dive at Scorpion Bay but to tell you the truth we're not certain we're welcome there. I'm a new diver but the folks that have been diving for a while tell me that the place is legendary for the bottom topography and aquatic life that can bee seen there.

If you could go on ScubaBoard.com to the Southwest Sand Sharks forum, there is a thread on "Lake Pleasant Conditions" and the last pages deal with diving at Scorpion Bay. Also, on Divematrix.com there is a "Diving Scorpion Bay" thread on the "Rockies and Southwest" forum. If you could post an update on the posibility of diving Scorpion Bay on either or both of these message boards we could better be able to make plans or maybe set up a meeting with divers on the north side of the valley to tour the new facility and hopefully carve out an area we can dive from.

I've been told that you are an avid dver. I hope that is true and if so, you may already be on those message boards. If you aren't I must tell you that you're missing out on a very cool and active community of local divers.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Steve.

A.K.A. ScubaSteve2000 on ScubaBoard.com and Divematrix.com.

Cris emailed me back and asked me to call him, which I did. BTW, his office phone number is 623-297-9920. I would ask anybody who wants to dive there to call him first. If you don't you will be turned away.

He was pretty emphatic about being contacted before we come out to dive. Every time. He wants to know who is coming and when. He wants to meet with the divers before hand. His concern was that if there are divers getting into the water at the cove area to the right of the parking area that it will draw other non-divers also. He said that there were some fatalities there because if gets deep so fast and if somebody isn't a good swimmer, they will drown. The county is making him put up a fence (to the tune of $10,000) so nobody can get to the cove from the shore He said that if we were diving from a boat, we could dive anywhere in the marina we wanted to including the cove.

He said that there were two or three areas that he controls that he would let us dive from but anyone that wanted to dive there had to contact and meet with him first.

Construction will be ongoing there for the next 4 years. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth the effort. I don't have any experience with that area of the lake.

Steve.

Good job steve.
04.gif

That took time and effort!!!!!
THX
Ed

Good job steve.
04.gif

That took time and effort!!!!!
THX
Ed

Thanks Ed. I think that it was wasted time though. I feel like there are to many hoops that have to be jumped through to be able to dive there. There are just to many areas at the lake that are easier to deal with. According to some posts on Dive Matrix the sheriff's department has already ticketed a couple of divers for tresspassing. Bottom line is if you don't get the nod from McSparen you don't dive there.

Steve.

Just went diving with a couple buddys yesterday in the cove between scorpion bay (south-west) and the north-west boat ramp. Not sure of the name. Water was better than I had expected. Maxed out at 64' thermocline at 35' The visibility was 10-12'. Wore a 7mil 2 piece & was very comfortable until 35' I had wished I wore gloves and hood when we got to 50' but it was tollerable without. Also wish I had brought a flashlight as it got dark around 50'. Saw a few fish, a turtle, a boat anchor (which we left down there) and I found a cheapie led flashlight that was amazingly still on (but dim) We'll be doing it again soon. Hope this info helps someone.

Just went diving with a couple buddys yesterday in the cove between scorpion bay (south-west) and the north-west boat ramp. Not sure of the name. Water was better than I had expected. Maxed out at 64' thermocline at 35' The visibility was 10-12'. Wore a 7mil 2 piece & was very comfortable until 35' I had wished I wore gloves and hood when we got to 50' but it was tollerable without. Also wish I had brought a flashlight as it got dark around 50'. Saw a few fish, a turtle, a boat anchor (which we left down there) and I found a cheapie led flashlight that was amazingly still on (but dim) We'll be doing it again soon. Hope this info helps someone.

According to my trusty "Fish n Map" you may have been diving at Catfish Cove or Pipeline Canyon. Catfish Cove is closer to the NW boat ramp and looks to be accessible from a road; Pipeline Canyon is closer to the Scorpion Bay Marina but looks like you need to get to it by boat. I've been thnking about trying out the area near the NW boat ramp. I scouted it last fall but didn't get a chance to go back since. Let us know when you plan to go back and we'll try to join you.

Steve.

I was able to find a map, it was Pipeline Canyon. Thanks for the reply. I am out of town this weekend but plan to be back out there hopefully either the 13th or 14th of June if I can get my buddies to go with. I think I'll be bringing 2 tanks this time, and a hood & flashlight & gloves. Live & learn. My email is macgyver2@cox.net if you want to email me direct. Hey check this out ScubaSteve

Last edited:
I forwarded the link to my gal as a Father's Day gift suggestion.

Did you get to Pipeling Canyon by car or boat? I'd like to try diving there sometime.

We picked that spot only because our boat was way overloaded & we couldn't get it past 12mph (normally goes 32mph). We just tossed out a blow up raft & a dive flag & had our boat leave us for about an hour. It's a SeaRay Sundowner.
Here's a photo of the boat so you can identify us if you are out there when we are.
-Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom