Lake Pleasant conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Got wet in Lake Pleasant yesterday. Dove the coves near the 10 lane ramp and dirty shirt. Viz at both locations was 5'. Temp 85 deg down to about 30', then a slight thermocline. Lake level is down about 20' or so. Stopped by an LDS on the way out of town and was told viz was 15-20' over the weekend. Not sure how viz was better over the weekend than during the week. My viz accuracy is pretty good though - I could barely see my fins when I looked back at them!

I was at the end of desert tortise road today
water level is down about 10 to 15 ft.
vis is about 1 ft surface to 15 ft it gets to about 10 ft at 25 feet.
plus the smell is almost unbearable
does anyone know what the vis is at saguaro
or canyon?

Dive-aholic:
Got wet in Lake Pleasant yesterday. Dove the coves near the 10 lane ramp and dirty shirt. Viz at both locations was 5'. Temp 85 deg down to about 30', then a slight thermocline. Lake level is down about 20' or so. Stopped by an LDS on the way out of town and was told viz was 15-20' over the weekend. Not sure how viz was better over the weekend than during the week. My viz accuracy is pretty good though - I could barely see my fins when I looked back at them!

Don't bother with Saguaro. It just keeps getting worse and worse all the time. The shops that were doing training dives there have moved to Pleasant. I've heard Canyon isn't much better. Right now Pleasant is your best bet, even with those conditions.

Dove Lake Pleasant Last Night.
Weather was warm and wind was calm.
Hardly any boats on the lake.

Did two dives at Vista Point ....

Water Temp was 80 degrees and almost too warm in a 3MM.
Thermocline was at 46 feet. Dopped a minimum of 10 degrees.
Visibility was 10 feet +/- (it was the best I've seen it in a while)
(we were pretty careful not to kick up the bottom)

Saw lots of crawdads, perch and a smallmouth bass.

Lake Pleasant this past weekend had about 8-10' of viz. Lake level down about 35'. Temp ranged 78-80 deg. I was over in the cove by the 10-lane boat ramp with a max depth of 25'. Lots of sailboats on the lake, but nothing over by the cove. Not bad for a weekend.

Lake was very calm yesterday, hardly any boats.

Water Temp is definitely colder. 3MM was a necessity. Most folks came out cold in 3MM. One person was in a 5MM.

Visibility was between 6' and 10' at 30 feet in depth (10' is a bit optomistic, but somewhere in the range).

Lots of juvenile small mouth bass!

jcf

Dove Lake Pleasant 28th-30th.

Desert Tortoise Rd area
Water temp 61 deg
Air temp 53 deg 28th and 29th, 68 deg 30th (good thing for dry suits!)
Viz 10-15 feet.
No thermocline to 40 feet. Did start getting dark around 30 feet. Lake level has risen about 8 feet since a month ago making the road a decent area to dive this time. Swam out to the end of the "islands" and headed towards the left, following the road, then dropped down into the little "canyon" there. Also dove the cove to the right of the road right where the water starts. A little colder than last month, but it's opened up the viz a good 10 feet or so. Definitely had some good dives - 4 dives with just over 4 hours total bottom time.

Dove lake pleasant Dirty shirt on Sunday, water temp 58F, Viz. about 8FT , actually quite silty at some points, and it got dark at around 35'-40', nice thing though was almost at the end of the dive a school of about 12 or so Largemouth bass were hanging around some big rocks, never seen it before, quite cool.

That's pretty cool. I've seen the occasional bass, maybe a couple of them together, but never a school in the lake. The only school of fish I've seen at Pleasant was a school of a several Tilapia at about 45 feet a little over a year ago.

Dove Lake pleasant on Tuesday, I could say that this was the first time I have seen such good conditions at the lake: viz around 15'-20' , in some spots around 10'.
water temp minimum of 58F and quite a bit of large mouth bass, I got to see another school of small bass along with some quite large fish compared with others I have seen before.
I also could say that this site I tried this time is the best ever, large walls, overhangs cave looking, all this at no more than 40', mostry around 35'and 25'.
If you wanna try this place you have to get in road towards dirty shirt, but as soon as you get in this road turn right and follow the gravel and dirt road until it ends, which kindda heads towards the ranger station, get in the water and swimm to the right to the tip and drop down then and dive along the wall towards dirty shirt. Make sure you have a knife with you this place has a lot of fishing line you could get sutcked with.
Have a great dive
Andres

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom