Sports Chalet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does everyone know that Sports Chalet is opening 4 more stores in the valley? Yes, 4! Granted, they're not a dive shop only type of place, but as has been pointed out, many new divers don't know where they should go. They just go to those who advertise. BTW, one of the shops will be on Happy Valley and Lake Pleasant Rd. Conveniently close to the lake!

Dive-aholic:
Does everyone know that Sports Chalet is opening 4 more stores in the valley? Yes, 4! Granted, they're not a dive shop only type of place, but as has been pointed out, many new divers don't know where they should go. They just go to those who advertise. BTW, one of the shops will be on Happy Valley and Lake Pleasant Rd. Conveniently close to the lake!

I also heard from someone at Sports Chalet that one will be opening at Metro Centre.....in the back yard of an existing dive shop....
We need to start a new thread...."Does Sports Chalet stores hurt existing dive shops?

What is Sports Chalet? Is it like a Dick's Sporting Goods or Academy Sports? (Large sporting good stores that resemble Best Buy or Circuit City)

undefined:
What is Sports Chalet? Is it like a Dick's Sporting Goods or Academy Sports? (Large sporting good stores that resemble Best Buy or Circuit City)
Well I don't know about resembling BB or CC, those are huge warehouse stores here they are more like a Big5 or Sports Authority, It's orginally a Southern California sporting goods chain, that have scuba departments. Don't think I'd ever get training there, but air and they have some great sales from time to time and they are open on Sundays where most (and all by me) LDS are closed on Sundays.

KazInAz:
I also heard from someone at Sports Chalet that one will be opening at Metro Centre.....in the back yard of an existing dive shop....
We need to start a new thread...."Does Sports Chalet stores hurt existing dive shops?
Los Angeles, California – (February 6, 2007) – Sport Chalet, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPCHA, SPCHB) today announced its store opening plans for calendar 2007.

The Company currently anticipates opening six to eight new stores during the year as well as completing two store remodels. The majority of the new stores will be focused on adding density to current markets, namely Southern California and Arizona.
Our typical format boasts a natural and outdoor-feel color scheme,...pool for SCUBA and watersports instruction
Any with pools here? I've only been to the Happy Valley/I-17 store and they don't.

Three guesses where it's going in:
In the former Ultimate Electronics store across Peoria(doubt it, kind of small for them)
In the former Home store just north of Cheryl
In the former Best Buy store(doubtful unless they plan to share a parking lot with Sports Authority)
can't think of anywhere else...

sjspeck:
Any with pools here? I've only been to the Happy Valley/I-17 store and they don't.

In the former Ultimate Electronics store across Peoria(doubt it, kind of small for them)
In the former Best Buy store(doubtful unless they plan to compete with Sports Authority)
I've only been to the same one.

Geez guess I haven't been in the Metro area in awhile (I live closer to Arrowhead) what's with all the former stores??

sjspeck:

In the former Best Buy store(doubtful unless they plan to share a parking lot with Sports Authority)

I've been to the store in the Scottsdale Airpark, and I think they have a pool. I wasn't thrilled with their prices, even on the little stuff like sausages, clips, etc.
Have yet to see any stuff on sale there, either, and I've been in four or five times.

shark.byte.usa:
I've only been to the same one.

Geez guess I haven't been in the Metro area in awhile (I live closer to Arrowhead) what's with all the former stores??
Metro did this two year "renovation" and I think a lot of people got tired of how long it took. Also it seems like all they mostly did was tear out all the trees and rework the exterior.

While it was going on they lost:
Macy's (the big anchor store on the south that used to be Broadway)
All the stores that used to be upstairs by Sears on the east side. Which were replaced by an indoor skateboard track last year - which also is gone now. There's also lots of odd stores there now, cheap art prints and oriental import stores, the kind that move in/out at Christmas, but they're staying on...kind of like Chris-town(Spectrum now?) before Wally World moved in there.

The aforementioned stores, Home & Ultimate just went out, Best Buy moved to I-17/T-Bird. This Christmas CompUsa across from Best Buy also closed.

hijack over...

sjspeck:

Sorry to continue the hijack but...

1) Happy Valley/I-17 location does have a outdoor pool. It is out back by the loading dock.

2) The AZ Republic did an article last fall about the Metrocenter location. Supposedly it is opening this spring and is supposed to take one of the former anchor spaces in the mall. I tried to get the Republic article but you have to buy the archive articles.

I've thought often about how the Phoenix area supports so many dive shops already. It baffles me. Hard to think about how the increased competion for limited market share and the deeper pockets of Sports Chalet will effect the current retailers. I'll never shop there but I also will not set foot in Walmart, prefer the locally owned ACE over Home Depot, eat at local establishments rather than the national chains, and buy groceries at Bashas rather than the grocery conglomerates. But that is just my philosophical view and probably a topic of another thread. Good idea Karen.:D

krcollins:
1) Happy Valley/I-17 location does have a outdoor pool. It is out back by the loading dock.

Man... that's gotta smell good!

krcollins:
I've thought often about how the Phoenix area supports so many dive shops already. It baffles me. Hard to think about how the increased competion for limited market share and the deeper pockets of Sports Chalet will effect the current retailers.

Sports Chalet is good for us all. We don't compete with each other... we compete with the other ways people find to spend their discretionary income. Get more folks into scuba... and they'll find their way into our shops. Come on Sports Chalet... pay for some radio and TV time!

Back
Top Bottom