Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Since the original LP thread was going in a different direction, how about a thread for conditions/dive reports (perhaps a sticky thread?)

Location: west of the 10 lane boat ramp past the road that runs into the water

Temps: Around 70

Depth: Stayed shallow, around 38' max (conducting some OW check-out dives)

Vis: 10' or so

Saw a few fish, and our student did excellent! Another new diver to join the mix...

Although the lake has been pretty bad lately it seemed like it was clearing up. That is until this weekend.

Visibility 1ft at 20'

Increased to 2 ft down to 90' but was pitch black under 30'

I'd have to say this lake is done for another summer. The water wasn't the usual green, it was more like brown in the shallows.

Back to Vista Point.

Bob

Good Idea Kris! I was getting ready to pull the trigger myself. I'm looking forward to getting back to LP after the memorial Day weekend. See all y'all then.

Steve.

I'm heading to the lake this Saturday. Haven't been for a couple of weeks. What are the conditions?

Steve.

Lake Pleasant conditions as of 5/31...

I met Josh, Bill and Mike at the west enterance to the lake. We arrived at the lake at about 7:30 and realized that we probably should have gotten there about a 1/2 hour earlier. There was already a line of cars at the enterance. We dove at Beismeyer Point. Surface temps were in the upper 60's/ lower 70's. We hit a thermocline at about 45 feet and another one at about 60 feet. Temp at 72 feet was 61 degrees.

The vis was bad enough that we found it difficult to keep together as a group of 4 so we opted for two two-man dive teams. That made it a bit easier to keep coordinated.

Vis was somewhat less than arm's reach untill we got to 45 - 50 feet where it improved the deeper we went. By the time we were at 60 feet the vis was about 15 - 20 feet (almost as good as San Carlos). We saw a couple of big bass and the small fry kept just on the edge of visibility.

Boat traffic was as usual for this time of year. I'm interested in finding out what the conditions are at Vista Point. We definately have to start getting to the lake earlier so we can get 3 dives in before the craziness starts.

I answered my questions about the lake. Yes, you still need your hood, gloves and 7mm wetsuit. We had a great time and I wanted to thank Bill, Mike and Josh for making it a good day.

Surface temp about 70
Vis down to 40 (first thermocline) was mabye 5 feet.

Suprisingly vis improved drastically under 80 ft. By 130' it had to be 25-30' and the temperature had dropped to 52 degreees.

Bob

Thanks to Steve, Josh and Mike for another great day at the lake on Saturday morning. It is a real pleasure to dive with these guys.

Surface temp about 70
Vis down to 40 (first thermocline) was mabye 5 feet.

Suprisingly vis improved drastically under 80 ft. By 130' it had to be 25-30' and the temperature had dropped to 52 degreees.

Bob

Bob,

What time did you dive there and how was the boat traffic? It sounds like the vis wasn't much better than Beismeyer Point. Temp was in the low 60's at about 70 feet. Couldn't find deeper than 70-something. But hopefully you weren't playing dodge-boat.

Steve.

Hi All at the lake today met up with Steve and Bill and got to join them on their second and third dives of the day. (Thanx again for allowing me to join in the fun)
The water is warming up and I dove with a shorty and 3mm for a total of 5mm over my torso. I was very comfortable through the first thermocline and even dealing with the second wasn't so bad that felt like I needed to rush out of it. Minimum temperature was about 58F

I was diving my new kit although with a rental computer (mine is on it way back from an upgrade) This is my first BP/wing an OMS SS plate,comfort harness, 45# bungee wing w/STA, an Oceanic Delta 4 reg and Aquatec Air3 octo.

I guessed I needed 10# of lead to sink and it wasn't too bad I may be able to trim a couple lbs off that as I get used to it.

Had a lot of fun while my wife Nancy did her first 2 ow checkout dives with Mindy. She will be working on the rest tomorrow. So I'll be back out there is anyone wants to dive.

Last edited:
I'll keep it simple, Rob covered most of it..

Temps: 73 surface (about) and 59 at 70 feet

Depth: First dive 70 feet, second dive for Bob and I was 50 feet

Vis: around 5 feet +/- a few

Saw a big largemouth bass and had fun diving down the road into the lake, a new dive for me (and Bob too).

We'll be back tomorrow for more fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom