Using different local dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles below

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I been thinking of switching to a different dive shop. I like the instructors and some of the regular divers,however, I feel neglected at times. Would it be wrong to use another shop for dive trip and community social events and only use my shop that certified me for maintenance of my gear and some community social when my friends are doing them? I don't believe I will be joining them on any dive trip since I had a bad taste 2x.:no:

Think tires instead of scuba. Ask all of the same questions.

The answers get really easy. They ARE NOT your friend. OR your family.

P.S. Convert that married person into a dive buddy...even if it kills them...Solution!

I am all for supporting any LDSs. But I have left LDSs that were closer to my home in favor of others just for the same reason you mentioned. If the store has little interest in customer service, then they should get out of the customer service industry.

BTW...you do not need to go to the same store you purchased the equipment to have it serviced. You might be surprised how many stores take gear in for services only to take it to that one guy in town who does ALL the services.

hell I haven't been into a LDS in years.... Never went to the ones while I was in Maine, haven't been to the one in Greenville where I live now, and when I was in Raleigh, there were 7 shops within 15 minutes of where I lived on campus and in the 5 years I was living there, I think I went into the shops maybe 6 times total? All for social events. You aren't betraying them or anything and the scuba police won't harass you. Go where you're comfy, that's what matters

Use whatever shop you like and makes you happy, or use no LDS and use an internet/LDS like ScubaToys for gear and services.

One thing to keep in mind... Some people are VERY territorial about their LDS and you are either "ours" or "theirs" in their mind. I'm not saying that to keep you from switching, just to make you aware you could run into a few who will give you the ol' stink-eye for it.

You owe no loyalty to any dive shop or business for that matter. Go where they treat you the way you want to be treated.

I don't do group trips. Have an informal group of divers buddies and friends. Will sometimes attend a cookout or the like if it is on a day I am diving anyway.

I go to the LDS where I get the best service, who I trust the most in terms of equipment service, has the class I want. So it can vary.

So I have been using three LDS.
Trust two for quality prompt air fills, trust one for my equipment service, trust two for classes unless I personally know the instructor in which case I will go to all three, trust all three for a quick item pickup depending on the item, and would trust two for a dive club although I do not belong to a dive club.

If LDS does not have item in stock, will order online.

It is great to have a LDS as well as a LGS and because of this I tend to support them every now and then (even if I could shop online for cheaper).

This is a choice I have made: I want to support local shops. They are convenient.

I would not limit my diving by relying on one LDS only, though. It's a little bit like being a child vs. being an adult. As a child you rely on one or two parents but as an adult you have more choice (and responsibilities).

I used to work at an LDS in a non-diving part of the country (there was some river diving) and in a town that was ALL ABOUT "Eat Local, Buy Local, Be Local" in everything they did. I skipped nearly all the chains for local shops, restaurants and otherwise. I put a LOT of money into small shops where I could've saved online or otherwise. We put a lot of effort into making it a social thing as much as a business. I knew all the diver's names, what they dove, how they dove, what was up.....and I was starting to learn what rental gear they all liked best. Even big disagreements at the shop were handled pretty calmly. That shop was and is far from perfect, but they got repeat business for a reason.

HOWEVER, my LDS is awful now that I've moved. I mean REALLY awful, to the point where I won't even go there for refills for my dive log (which is sad, because they've got the good kind I like). They've done FAR too much bad to/near/around me to ever get a dime of my business again. The LDS I am going to now gets every penny I can afford, and they're 7hrs away. I don't mean just some snorkel keepers, either....I mean tanks, regs, dry suits, a scooter (coming soon), Petrel, canister lights......EVERYTHING. Everyone there knows my name, treats me well, shakes my hand, and disagreements are VERY civil.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2014 at 11:03 AM ----------

This is a choice I have made: I want to support local shops. They are convenient.

I agree, with one caveat. I will support any local shop that deserves my business. I'll do it with a smile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom