DiveCon Watermanship Evaluation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dockmaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking through the DiveCon requirements and saw that there's a "watermanship evaluation"; what's involved in the evaluation? I'm working at a summer camp and would like to get some extra practice in before I have to do the evaluation.

The SSI LDS decides what they want. In my case it was a timed 400 yard swim (any swim style allowed). There was a 600 yard timed mask fins snorkel swim also. I can't recall what the timing was but on the swim part, you definitely needed to be proficient in a swimming style to accomplish it.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Now I've got something to work on this summer.

There is also an underwater breath hold swim, but I don't remember exactly how far it was. I could not do it at the start of the class. It was something I had to work on.

The SSI LDS decides what they want. In my case it was a timed 400 yard swim (any swim style allowed). There was a 600 yard timed mask fins snorkel swim also. I can't recall what the timing was but on the swim part, you definitely needed to be proficient in a swimming style to accomplish it.

Mine was all timed: 400yd swim (any style), 800yd mask, fins & snorkel, 100yd diver tow (both in full gear) & 10 min. tread with last 2 min. hands out of the water. We did all this in 1 day.

There is also an underwater breath hold swim, but I don't remember exactly how far it was. I could not do it at the start of the class. It was something I had to work on.

Unfortunatley, that's what it is coming down too. SSI puts out standards then the shops add their own twist to them like the timing and underwater swims. Some ever require a year or two of apprenticeship in the shops on weekends. The best thing to do is go to the dive shop you're considering training with. Sit down and talk to them about THEIR requirements.

Unfortunatley, that's what it is coming down too. SSI puts out standards then the shops add their own twist to them like the timing and underwater swims. Some ever require a year or two of apprenticeship in the shops on weekends. The best thing to do is go to the dive shop you're considering training with. Sit down and talk to them about THEIR requirements.

Let me see if I can find my Divecon book tonight and see what the listed requirements were. The underwater swim was an SSI requirement.
Now our shop does have other requirements, such as taking the equipment repair course.

Last edited:
Maybe it's different here in oz but I done what was in the standards, and if any of the lds what to change it then good on them but I would not work for them... What are they going to change from the standards next, maybe I will start to teach!!, it's a slippery slope to go down, even more so with the lack of $ around at the mo, I know the shop where I work run to the standards which I think is something to be proud off.
Just my 2 cents worth !!

Maybe the standards is a guide for your watermanship stuff. If thats all you can do and are afraid to challenge yourself, maybe it is time to re adjust your decision to be a dive con. This crap from the oz about not doing it with that lds because it is a slippery slope, I think your physical ability to swim is very important in dive con, and as a dive con you are an assistant instructor so you can be teaching a class if deemed needed as long as an instructor is present.

No wonder SSI is doing a graduated system now. Got a bunch of princess's coming through and it is the better way to see if you do want to be a professional diver.

Back
Top Bottom