Science of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KShandkman

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am studying the science of diving course materials and I have a question regarding the test format. Can anyone speak to as to the format of the physics portion regarding formulas and calculations? When given the formulas I can figure the the math out. I am not sure if I need to be memorizing the formulas or not.

Although all of the material is essential, from a testing standpoint I just want to know what I am up against.

Thanks

Ask your instructor if you are permitted to have a formula sheet with the base formulas for the test. I know that some feel this is appropriate given the heavy math. You would still need to determine the proper formula for the respective question.

The test I did was a 100 questions with Multiple Choice with up to 4 different answers. Some questions have a True/False answer.
Some questions, the possible answers are result numbers, where you need to do the calculations to choose the correct answer.
The minimun aprobal threshold is 80 correct answers.

Learn which law applies in a given situation. You must know the name and what it describes. Many exam question describe a situation and ask which law applies.
The best abbreviation I've seen on SB:
Boyle - breathe or your lungs explode
Maybe nasty, but it does describes the essence of Boyle's law!

Ask your instructor if you are permitted to have a formula sheet with the base formulas for the test. I know that some feel this is appropriate given the heavy math. You would still need to determine the proper formula for the respective question.
I second that. I teach that course and the test is very heavy on math using the gas laws. One could ask why a divemaster needs to be able to calculate the precise buoyancy gain in pounds for a given rise in the water column, but that's the test.

I think a reference sheet of equations and constants is a great idea, whether you prepare your own or get one from the instructor. Obviously that won't help at all if you can't decide which equation applies to a given scenario -- I'd say that's the real skill: problem analysis.

One quality of a good divemaster is quick and accurate problem analysis before launching into action.

Thanks for all the advice. I passed the exam with a 94%. It was pretty rough and I needed a drink afterwards though :)
On to Stress/Rescue, React Right, Nav, and Low vis/night diving. :)

Learn which law applies in a given situation. You must know the name and what it describes. Many exam question describe a situation and ask which law applies.
The best abbreviation I've seen on SB:
Boyle - breathe or your lungs explode
Maybe nasty, but it does describes the essence of Boyle's law!

"Boyle Blew Up"
"Dalton Died Deep"
"Charles Got Cold"

It was a little more in depth than that. Some of the questions weren't related to the material that was covered. I understood and could do all of the math in the book, went to the test and it was completely different. Preparing for the exam was difficult but I had an understanding of the physics prior to reading the materials. -- Needless to say it was not fun and I am glad I am done with it.

congratulations on passing with a great mark. i also found it quite difficult to prepare for. but i got through it. and it really does give you a much better appreciation for the physics behind what we do.
advise to those reading this.......make sure you know the formulas and how/when to apply them. you also will need to know how to rearrange those formulas to solve different answers. damn algebra!!

good luck in the rest of your courses !!!

I see we are working the same pathway :) Keep me posted on your progress. I am glad I am not the only one who had problems studying for!

Jason

Back
Top Bottom