Ow in bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some less informed shops might tell you no. That it's tech gear or not the same as the other students. If they do find another shop. It'd make me wonder what other lies they are feeding you.

Does ssi have a standing on this?
If I challenge the lds, I would like to have some hard proof to stand on.

Serious or sarcastic?

Serious. We use Halcyon BP/W rigs for all of our OW students.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2013 at 04:57 PM ----------

Does ssi have a standing on this?
If I challenge the lds, I would like to have some hard proof to stand on.

There's no "standing" on this, nothing to "challenge" about it. You have to use a an appropriate buoyancy compensator device. The Halcyon Infinity system is such a device.

The only thing you might find is that you get some grief from the shop for having purchased your gear elsewhere. (I'm assuming this is the case; if you bought the gear at the shop in question they would obviously not have an issue.) Further, the instructor might not be completely familiar with the gear. That should take all of five minutes for that problem to go away. If I can teach a Girl Scout Troop to use a BP/W... a scuba instructor should be able to figure one out.

There's no "standing" on this, nothing to "challenge" about it. You have to use a an appropriate buoyancy compensator device. The Halcyon Infinity system is such a device.

The only thing you might find is that you get some grief from the shop for having purchased your gear elsewhere. (I'm assuming this is the case; if you bought the gear at the shop in question they would obviously not have an issue.) Further, the instructor might not be completely familiar with the gear. That should take all of five minutes for that problem to go away. If I can teach a Girl Scout Troop to use a BP/W... a scuba instructor should be able to figure one out.

I´ll support you part of the way. I´d never advise any of my friends or family to do a course with a DM who isn´t familiar with a BP/W. I mean, you´re a DM, you should know all the most popular kinds of equipment if this is your gig. "I´m not familiar with that kind of equipment" is a dealbreaker for me. So there should not be any rational or/and goods reasons that you can´t use a BP/W.

However. The DM is responsible for you. He makes the decisions. You do as the nice guy or gal says. I don´t want to hear, or know about your right to act as you please because it is your life. Well, you just put your life in someone else´s hands. You are no longer responsible for yourself, they are. You have become a huge child; without knowledge of how to survive in the world you find yourself in.

So if someone tells you no, you can not use a BP/W on this course, you better listen. No need to explain why. Those are the terms, deal with it, or stay on dry land with your BP/W.

So if someone tells you no, you can not use a BP/W on this course, you better listen. No need to explain why. Those are the terms, deal with it, or stay on dry land with your BP/W.

What he had better do is to walk away--who needs that kind of "instruction".

The shop which certified me wanted students to use the gear they provided. Aqualung gear. My assumption was that it is so the students all have identical stuff and there are no concerns about someone's special setup. That, and (like me) you want to buy want you trained on after a class. I didn't, but I came real close to buying exactly what they used in the class.

I've come to know many of the instructors there pretty well, and every one that I've come to know dives BP/W when not teaching classes at the shop.

RJP, if someone showed up for one of your OW classes with an aqualung axiom or scubapro classic you'd be fine with that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom