Old Timer SSL Open Water -- how does it equate to today's AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussiaDad

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I received my SSL OW certification in the early 1980s. As I understand it today, you need an advanced OW to dive below 60 feet. As a recreational diver, I've logged over 80 dives with at least 25 beyond 60 feet. Am I now restricted to 60 feet or does my old OW equate to AOW?

Please understand, I'm not opposed to more training, just the opposite, these new specialties interest me and I just completed a refresher course which was outstanding. But it seems strange to have to re-certify to dive below 60 feet now that the courseware has changed.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I looked on the SSL site but couldn't find any info. I'd hate to schedule vacation dives only to find out I'm no longer certified to go below 60 feet and have to cancel.

thanks

Ken

Hi Ken,

I haven't run into any "scuba police" on any of my dives, local or on vacation. The only card I carry is for nitrox cert.

I seriously doubt that you will have a problem on your vacations. You stated that you didn't have any issues diving at 85' and if you are safe and comfortable at that depth, go for it.

Hello,

I received my SSL OW certification in the early 1980s. As I understand it today, you need an advanced OW to dive below 60 feet. As a recreational diver, I've logged over 80 dives with at least 25 beyond 60 feet. Am I now restricted to 60 feet or does my old OW equate to AOW?

Please understand, I'm not opposed to more training, just the opposite, these new specialties interest me and I just completed a refresher course which was outstanding. But it seems strange to have to re-certify to dive below 60 feet now that the courseware has changed.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I looked on the SSL site but couldn't find any info. I'd hate to schedule vacation dives only to find out I'm no longer certified to go below 60 feet and have to cancel.

thanks

Ken

Many dive operators will ask for you to dive with a guide on dives 60' or more. Having been certified since the early 80's and having less than 100 dives since that time is next to no experience.Your experience works out to less than 3 dives a year. Sorry, but just take a advance class.
Your certification from that time is still only a open water certification. Certain locations such as Mexico/Honduras will not care what certification you have as long as you have the proper card-VISA or Mastercard. Other dive op's that are in the states that are concerned about liability will want advance certification.

I've been with at least one op that insisted on AOW cards for sites that were deeper than 60'. One of my dive buddies is in the same situation as you and he's not happy about it. I think he'll probably have to buy an aow card from someone eventually.

All,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I can't say I'm thrilled with what I've learned -- that essentially I've been downgraded. I have a professional certification that did something similar. Fortunately this hasn't as yet happened to my academic degrees. :D

But I'm a big boy and a quick study. I can't see where it will do me any harm to learn a little more about this sport.

All the best

Ken

The depth limitation differs from agency to agency. PADI OW has 60 feet, SSI OW used to be 100' I think and then they changed it to 80' or 60' or something like that (not totally sure). ACUC OW is 80' and then 130' after 25 dives. That being said, dive ops most likely don't care about all that and instead they can impose any limits of their own that they want.. if they want people to have AOW for "deep" dives, then that's what you need.

I certified in 1978 with SSI. Max depth and checkout dives were 130' They had a a great deal more training then than now - looks like they broke it up to charge more. I remember the course taking nearly 5 weeks, couple nights a week and then 2 weekend checkouts. I looked at my old dive logs... after I unstuck the pages, and show 9 dives within 2 weeks where 2 dives were at 135' off Pensacola. Since then I have been doing my thing and no one has challenged me to dive after showing my computer logs.

To a point I agree and understand, but 80 dives in what essentially is 33 years is a valid reason to re certify, alone the dive medical knowledge has changed dramatically, we now use dive computers and weight integrated BCD's ( us 'oldies' would still know how to use a dive table), but as all things go, most SSI facilities would offer to you a refresher course, once completed you get air.
However,
that said it would limit your dive depth, and you would need advanced courses to dive deeper, but in any case, it is not to dredge money from your pocket but to ensure that your training and skills meet minimum SSI standards, thus the liability issue is covered for you as well as for the Dive Facility.
as for you academics, well I'm sure that's a different thread
:wink:

Last edited:
I became certified in 1973. The basic C-card at that time seemed just about what it is today with the obvious exceptions. There were J-valve reserves in 1973 and there are computers now. I still like to consult the dive tables. If I recall correctly, in 1973, there were only two certifications basic and advanced. The advanced course that I took included a deep dive (80') on a wreck, remove tank and demonstrate fitting through tight spaces on the wreck, night navigation, doff & don (in pool), buddy breathing while simulating equipment repair (in pool), buddy rescue (OW), in water rescue breathing (OW). I learned photography, boat diving, marine life, spear fishing, bug collecting and other things on my own. I think a lot has to do with what the insurance carrier requires and limits. Having seen guys freak out in kelp beds, I can't imagine an insurer would appreciate an instructor telling students to take off a tank and push it ahead of you through a sunken ore boat in 80' feet of water. On the other hand, my instructor may not have allowed that if he thought there might be a problem. Safety then and now is #1.

Back
Top Bottom