SSI Certification Schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RNELSON989

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Question:

I am scuba diver certified through NAUI 2010. My diving opportunities through the years have been limited due to work and location but I have recently been able to pursue diving more frequently. My local shop is an SSI center and I have inquired about taking the advanced open water and nitrox certification classes. While discussing this with the dive shop owner she assured me that coming over to SSI from NAUI is no problem and that my previous dives will count. The only issue I have is that she told me SSI will not issue me a physical card until I have completed 24 dives. I currently have 15 (level 3 in SSI system) and would have between 19-21 after these 2 classes.

My confusion is with the issue of diving with charters that require advanced open water cards before allowing you to dive and how I would cross that hurdle along with the nitrox certification proof for rental and fill requirements at dive locations. She said that I would be certified and in the SSI system just not with a physical card.

Can someone knowledgeable in SSI protocol please shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

The only issue I have is that she told me SSI will not issue me a physical card until I have completed 24 dives. I currently have 15 (level 3 in SSI system) and would have between 19-21 after these 2 classes.

My confusion is with the issue of diving with charters that require advanced open water cards before allowing you to dive and how I would cross that hurdle along with the nitrox certification proof for rental and fill requirements at dive locations. She said that I would be certified and in the SSI system just not with a physical card.

SSI's AOW requires 24 dives. That's probably what the shop owner was telling you.

There's no point in issuing you an SSI card before then, since it would just say "Open Water".

You could, however take thew SSI Nitrox, class for example, and have an SSI Nitrox card immediately, however if you want the AOW card, you need to meet the requirements for the card, before receiving it.

flots.

check this poster which explain you the different levels:

divessi.com/data/Image/tpl/eng/Poster_Diver_BIG.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you both for the clarification the poster especially. If I do both classes, when I get to the 24 dive mark and receive the AOW card, would there be a nitrox designation on it or are those always 2 separate cards?

Any 4 diving specialty will do. Nitrox could be one of those 4

I believe it is going to be 2 separate cards. I did my nitrox but haven't got to the advanced open water yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every specialty has it own certification, the AOW is a reward/recognition certification.
SSI works in a reward basis!
Please, check the poster carefully.

Last edited:
AOW Card Example

Thank you both for the clarification the poster especially. If I do both classes, when I get to the 24 dive mark and receive the AOW card, would there be a nitrox designation on it or are those always 2 separate cards?

aow-examplecard.jpg

If you are an SSI-certified AOW diver whose specialties include Nitrox, you'll have a standalone card for your EAN training as well as the accomplishment card for AOW. SSI AOW cards show other specialty certifications that you've received - my EAN40 shows here. My Specialty Diver card (completing the twelve dives for Level 2 and completing two specialties) also showed the specialty certs I had achieved at that time.

View attachment 190373

If you are an SSI-certified AOW diver whose specialties include Nitrox, you'll have a standalone card for your EAN training as well as the accomplishment card for AOW. SSI AOW cards show other specialty certifications that you've received - my EAN40 shows here. My Specialty Diver card (completing the twelve dives for Level 2 and completing two specialties) also showed the specialty certs I had achieved at that time.

What she said above...

I assume you are talking about Carla at Deep South Scuba. I work there for her part time, but am currently in the BVI doing a Divemaster internship. Hope to meet you sometime and go diving!

To clarify the way SSI does it, which in turn is how we do it at the shop.

If you take the Nitrox class, you will do the class work and then a "mock dive" and demonstrate analyzing the gas, etc. She will put your class and info into the SSI ODiN system and they will send a card to the shop within a week to 10 days at most usually. No minimum dives needed to get the physical card.

You can also choose to use Nitrox as one of your 4 specialties to count towards AOW, but that way we generally do it at Deep South is classroom work for four classes over two nights (6:30-9:30 or a full Saturday 10:00-4:00 or so), with two classes each night. Then you would go on a cert weekend and do the dives for the specialty courses. We usually do: Deep Diving, Boat Diving, Night/Limited Visibility, and Navigation. These are all very good to get, and are classes you would need if you ever went to the Pro level. You will actually get the individual cards for those 4 classes right away if you don't have the required 24 logged dives for the AOW card, then once you have the 24 dives bring your log book in and show Carla and she will order your AOW card.

I will be back home before the next cert weekend and am planning on going, so if you are able to do the class and go on the cert weekend, we could easily knock out 6-7 dives over two days if not more if we make shorter dives. Say 30-35 minutes vs 45-60 minutes.

Looking forward to meeting you, PM me or ask here if you have any more specific questions! You can also always go back into the shop, we love it when people just come to hang out, chat, ask questions or just sniff some neoprene!

Charles

I think the confusion lies simply in the names attributed to the qualifications. PADI (and presumable NAUI from what you've said) call their continuing education course after OW 'Advanced Open Water'. SSI call it the 'Advanced Adventurer' course - in in terms of the poster that crls attached, its the optional advanced training before progressing to specialties. Confusingly they also have a qualification called Advanced Open Water Diver, requiring 24 logged dives and the specialties.

Back
Top Bottom