When can I expect my Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyramid65

Contributor
Reaction score
I completed my check dives for SSI OW on the 29th.When I asked I was told I didn't need a temporary as I could go to the SSI site and my info would be there.Not there by the 5th so I called the shop and he said he would file that day, still nothing, it's now the 8th and still nothing.I planned to dive this weekend but I'm screwed without a certification.I'm glad I paid all this money for a cert & gear so it can take up space in my closet.Why wasn't I issued a temporary card? When can I expect a Certification card?As it stands now I have to cancel dives scheduled for this weekend unless something magical happens...WTF

Your certification should be immediately process, and if is it so, you can view it online or in the SSI app for iPhone or Android, which are valid options to show to your dive operator btw.
My suggestion is call to SSI central phone that it's on the divessi.com website and ask for your certifications. They will gladly help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need to head down to the dive shop and demand that they issue you a temporary card right now.

There really is no excuse for what you are experiencing.

My TDI Cavern certification hit my e-mail before I made it home from my last trip... that agency in particular is NINJA fast about processing certifications. So is GUE, and PADI actually is too. Keep in mind that for most agencies, processing certifications is a largely automated process. Your instructor logs in to an instructor portal, submits your basic stats, course info and possibly a photo, and it's thrown in the queue for review, printing, and mailing.

When certifications are delayed, it's almost always a shop/instructor problem. Sometimes they're lazy, but sometimes it's related to cash flow - when they submit your certification, it's time for the shop/instructor to pay up. It seems the trend for a long time has been for shops to drag their heels on anything related to sending money out of the shop...

Most agencies have a method of issuing a temporary card, so the recommendation to have the shop issue you a temp card is a solid one. If it's a local dive, or if there's any way your shop knows the dive operator for your upcoming trip, you should also be able to have him call and give verbal confirmation that you just completed your certification and are just waiting on the card. If the paperwork has been submitted, neither of these solutions should be an issue for the shop.

Yep, your logbook can serve of proof of your cert - presuming you were issued one and it was filled in correctly. Sounds like the dive centre is dragging its feet on the cert - it should have been processed within 48hours. So definitely follow it up, and get onto your regional SSI head office too. Any chance it shows up on the online database? Check the diver check link on the top right hand side of the SSI website here: Scuba Schools International

Good luck, I hope you get to go on your dives :)

I've been checking the SSI website regularly and nothing, I'm sure it's the shop, what pisses me off is he wouldn't even give me a temp after I specifically asked for one when I turned the tanks in, I paid in full prior to taking the class so that's not an issue, not on my end anyway, I sent an e-mail to the Director of Training, SSI Headquarters, Ft. Collins...just waiting on a reply, if I don't hear from them today I'll call them and see if they can straighten him out, I sincerely hope he doesn't expect me to patronize his shop after this fiasco, there are plenty of other places to get gear and take future classes in my area...My logbook is filled out correctly with my instructors name and # after each dive, plus I have the sticker and stamp as well (from someone else that works there, the owner wasn't around) but that's not the point.I own my own business and I will bend over backwards and even lose a few bucks to keep a customer happy, my reputation is worth 10x any dollar amount, word of mouth goes a long way, apparently this guy doesn't care.

It is definitely the shop (instructor), not SSI. You are taking the right steps by contacting SSI about this. This shop/ instructor is in breech of SSI's standards for processing certifications (supposed to be within 48 hrs of completion). Once your certification goes through, you may be sent an email asking about your experience. This would be an excellent time to mention the needless delay in your certification. Hoping the best that you get satisfactory resolution.

Something smells funky here. There should be absolutely no reason not to issue a temporary cert if they cannot provide the cert card proper on course completion. And certainly no call for refusing your request for one. Definitely not a cool way to run business, and no doubt other customers will vote with their feet - and their dollar - if they get the same level of (dis)service you have received. In light of the refusal to issue the temporary card, and the fact your cert has clearly not been registered yet, I would strongly recommend following this up further with someone higher up your local SSI regional chain in addition to some honest filling in of the feedback form you should receive from head office once things are straightened out.

In light of some previous comments about agency turn around time, I suspect its most definitely the shop and not the agency's processing time that's at fault here. If the shop does not register your details, the agency is none the wiser. Our shop is dual rated (we teach PADI as well as SSI) and our SSI regional head office is very timely with their processing. Even on occasions where there is issues with the card printer, all of our students details make it onto the database within a few hours, and almost always within the same working day.

Glad you have a properly filled logbook though, that's something at least....

I just went to their site, adding insult to injury, on their homepage at the bottom is a "Congratulations to our new Certifications" with scrolling pics that have names and dates for various certs, sure enough there goes my pic with the 29th as being OW certified

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom