SSI Level 2 and up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello SSI guys and gals,

I have my SSI open water, and my card shows the yellow "5 or more dives." In my log book there are pages for level 2 and level 3 sign offs by my instructor.

Does my card get replaced at these "levels" or do they perhaps add a decal to my card? Does the SSI website get updated with this info?

Thanks, as always, for the insight.

-BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the best of my knowledge, your card only gets replaced/ additional card given, once you complete specialties. Then as you attain further levels like Specialty Diver, Master Diver. You will receive cards for things like Nitrox, Navigation, Stress and Rescue. Eventually you'll need a separate wallet for all the card they issue.

BC-

You will achieve "Level 2" after logging 12 dives with 2 "Specialty" certifications.... Level 3 is 24 or more logged dives..with a total of 4 "Specialtys"...which automatically generates an SSI "Advanced O/W" diver status. SSI believes that experiance and TRAINING dictates "Advanced" status..NOT a paid certification card. ( no mud slinging intended regarding any other specific agency). Remember, you WILL receive a "Specialty" C-Card with each specialty you complete.
Hope this was helpful...

Bubs

BC-

You will achieve "Level 2" after logging 12 dives with 2 "Specialty" certifications.... Level 3 is 24 or more logged dives..with a total of 4 "Specialtys"...which automatically generates an SSI "Advanced O/W" diver status. SSI believes that experiance and TRAINING dictates "Advanced" status..NOT a paid certification card. ( no mud slinging intended regarding any other specific agency). Remember, you WILL receive a "Specialty" C-Card with each specialty you complete.
Hope this was helpful...

Bubs

Thanks for the info. My book shows something a little different. It shows level 2 as just 12 dives, and that 12 dives PLUS 2 specialty courses is something different.

It is akin to the AOW, which is 24 dives (level 3) plus a certain amount of specialty courses (3 I think?) So 24 dives is listed as level 3. It looks like the "levels" are just for dives, and "specialty diver" and "AOW" diver are specialties cards contingent upon certain dive counts AND training.

Am I close with this?

---------- Post added July 27th, 2014 at 05:26 PM ----------

Make sure you update the number of dives in your ssi profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do; I'll sign in now and find out how to update this.

No, the levels are specialty diver and aow. If you haven't completed those, you are still a level 1 diver. Just because the pages for one level ends doesn't mean you have attained that level. You would just add additional pages to level 1.

There should be pages at the end of the levels stating what is required to attain that level. Most people just take those level tabs out anyways.

As for cards, only certain ones are free. Others you have to pay for. You either pay for them separate or it's included in the price of the class. Each level will be issued for free, such as OW, Specialty, AOW, and Master Diver. The only specialty that I am aware of that gets issued for free is Nitrox because you actually need to show that card.

I currently have 7 specialties and no cards for them. My AOW card shows 4 of them and my Master Diver card (if SSI ever gets around to sending it) will show my other 3. When I take Nitrox, I will get a separate card for that.

No, the levels are specialty diver and aow. If you haven't completed those, you are still a level 1 diver. Just because the pages for one level ends doesn't mean you have attained that level. You would just add additional pages to level 1.

There should be pages at the end of the levels stating what is required to attain that level. Most people just take those level tabs out anyways.

As for cards, only certain ones are free. Others you have to pay for. You either pay for them separate or it's included in the price of the class. Each level will be issued for free, such as OW, Specialty, AOW, and Master Diver. The only specialty that I am aware of that gets issued for free is Nitrox because you actually need to show that card.

I currently have 7 specialties and no cards for them. My AOW card shows 4 of them and my Master Diver card (if SSI ever gets around to sending it) will show my other 3. When I take Nitrox, I will get a separate card for that.

Ok, I get it. They need to work on their wording. It says, quite plainly, that 12 logged dives is level 2, and that you can include specific dives for specific programs to obtain those certifications. It doesn't say AND as it probably should. That's where the confusion is. Same thing for level 3. According to the wording read plainly, one could be a level 3 without obtaining AOW. I took a photo of the page that caused the confusion.
u8uzasur.jpg

Thanks for the help.

-BC

BC-

Don't let the wording confuse you lol....see where it says... "Include dives for..."? Those are the "dives" you complete during that specific specialty. Make sense?. In other words....you have to have the "Specialty" dives..in order to advance to the next level.

If you have any questions, please just ask...or speak with your SSI shop Instructor...so that the explanation is clear. While it seems like a bit vague at times, SSI REALLY does seem to try and have the diver "invest" in his dive education in order to move forward. And the money issue aside... I think it really does work well. I much prefer the SSI structure to "other" certifying agency(s).
If I may offer 2 lil nuggets...just my opinion....forget about the "Agency" issue so to speak. Find and vett several instructors regardless of what agency they happen to be with. Ask them point blank if you could do a dive with them. Find the one that seems PASSIONATE about passing proper dive skills forward, and ENJOYS that process.
Work hard to reach an understanding about what YOUR expectations are in an instructor. And let him know. A good instructor will not only APPRECIATE that, but understand that your willing to invest in yourself, as you move forward.

To coin a phrase...." Find the right instructor, not agency"

Have fun!! Dive safe!!

Bubs

Thanks. I understand. It is just written poorly. It should say "You must include" or "Required dives include..." Separating it like that makes it look like level 2 and "specialty diver" are mutually exclusive, and one could be level 2 without specialty diver. I get what they were going for, but the way it is written is quite weak. Especially when the sign off sheet for the instructor to sign/sticker/stamp only relates to "logged dives." It doesn't really matter to me, I just needed to know when to pop in and get my book stamped. I took a look at SSI's diver career path poster, which uses a much better set of wording to clarify. I guess not everyone reads these books so literally. Something that specified that level 2 equals specialty diver, and level 3 equals AOW would have locked in the definition of each. But, lacking the word "AND" changes up the meaning of the statement significantly, and without a statement regarding level 2 and specialty diver being the same thing, they look like 2 mutually exclusive titles. Especially when the sign off on the page only relates to logged dives. But I get it now. Call me overly analytical I guess. I have a training company in an unrelated field, and after each manual is created, I have inexperienced people read through it for clarity, as sometimes knowing too much about the topic hides errors like this. If one was to know that level 2 equals specialty diver, than you can read into the text. Having zero knowledge, the wording shows two separate titles.

Anyway, this horse is dead and beaten pretty well. Back to the actual stuff that matters, diving.

I have one instructor as of now through SSI. I certified for OW a few weeks ago, and he has invited me on every single OW dive day for his other classes so far. I am very happy, and work on my basic skills at the quarry weekly. While the students in the water do their mask clearing and regulator proficiencies, I stay on the platform and work on maintaining neutral buoyancy and hovering. If the class has an odd number of students, I can fill in as his buddy and do air sharing drills to allow him to work with someone relatively new, and keep my instructor available to assist any other student. So far so good. I'm not really worries about other classes as of yet, as I will be quite busy this fall, but for now I'm just soaking up what I can.

I have my kit all together and recently got my own tank. It is a steel bottle, so the weighting is very different. I have been using the relatively short training dives to alter my weight, until i am at the least amount of lead possible, while maintaining my ability to hold a safety stop at 15 feet. Carrying 8 pounds less lead than my cert day is terrific.

It is quite interesting, I must say, to be a novice at something again. I am really enjoying learning something new.

Get all the experience you can. It will only make you a better diver. Once you are comfortable, you will find that some of the specialties add good additional knowledge. When you are ready, pick some specialties that interest you. You can do the classwork early in the year and complete them when you can get to the open water. It's very easy to combine 4 of them and end up with your AOW cert.

Back
Top Bottom